Transmission in gear, Truck won’t move.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MEA403

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 GMC Yukon XL (140k), I was driving home from work, maybe 4 miles from my building and my transmission starts slipping. I pulled over, checked my fluid level. Fluid level is good and clean, no leaks. I put the truck back in drive and press the gas and the engine just revs, in both drive and reverse. When I put it in gear, you can not feel the transmission engaging. It will go into neutral, but that’s it. I am puzzled what it could be, any ideas?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you been under the truck to look for anything obvious? Any DIC lights? Since you mentioned slipping it sounds like something inside the transmission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something in the transmission obviously, get it checked at a transmission shop. The newer ones especially are hard to diagnose over the internet. It’s the most complicated item in your vehicle.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 GMC Yukon XL (140k), I was driving home from work, maybe 4 miles from my building and my transmission starts slipping. I pulled over, checked my fluid level. Fluid level is good and clean, no leaks. I put the truck back in drive and press the gas and the engine just revs, in both drive and reverse. When I put it in gear, you can not feel the transmission engaging. It will go into neutral, but that’s it. I am puzzled what it could be, any ideas?

Out of curiosity when was the last time you changed your Trans Fluid at the dealer?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Probably the pump, maybe the torque converter. Could be time for the solenoids to be rebuilt. Regardless, the transmission shop will tell you it's completely broken and you need everything replaced for $3500-$6500.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably the pump, maybe the torque converter. Could be time for the solenoids to be rebuilt. Regardless, the transmission shop will tell you it's completely broken and you need everything replaced for $3500-$6500.
I mean, if you’re going to tear one down you might as well. The cost of the parts isn’t what kills you, it’s the labor to pull it, fix it, and reinstall it. I wouldn’t remove a trans without rebuilding it, it’s not worth it. If you can fix it without pulling it that’s different.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score

Have you ever changed the transmision oil? Do you have the 6spd or 8spd tranny?

The valve body solenoids might be dirty, especially if you have never changed the oil.

OP
OP
M

MEA403

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Out of curiosity when was the last time you changed your Trans Fluid at the dealer?

I have a trans fluid flush roughly a year ago. At that time the dealer reported no issues with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent