Transmission fluid flush/change at 160,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bcox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking at a 2009 Tahoe LTZ. Has 162,000 miles. Maintenance has been kept up with as far as oil changes and things. In great shape! Transmission fluid has not been changed. I’ve read where some say at this high mileage don’t do it but some say you still should. Should i walk away on this one? Are there concerns with the transmission at this mileage? Guy is asking $14,500.

Reaction score
6.2l?

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the going rate in your area? Seems a little high for Florida right now.

As for the transmission, hmm... If I really liked that particular one and could budget for a rebuild, I would change the fluid, especially if it runs and shifts fine. There is an internal transmission oil life monitor that can be viewed with an advanced scan tool. Mine was in the 30% range at 117K miles. Changed it and all was still good.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
162k, and the trans fluid has never been replaced? Only way I'd buy that is if the seller knocks $3k off the price for the inevitable rebuild/replace of the transmission.

And I never understood the whole, "Don't change the fluid" mentality. The trans fluid is shot - has no lubricity, probably has water in it, additives are all gone, why would you leave it in? Is that going to cause LESS damage than putting in good, fresh trans fluid?

That's the one reason I take my trucks to the dealership. For a full trans flush.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the one reason I take my trucks to the dealership. For a full trans flush.

I am amazed how many people let quick lube places change out their trans fluid. I also only let the dealer change out the trans fluid no matter how old or how many miles on the vehicle.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it’s never been changed? If so the fluid would be dark brown and probably smell burnt hard to believe a truck in great shape didn’t have this done. To answer questions yes change it but have a dealer or trans shop check it before you buy it.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing...I just rolled 100k on my Denali. Trans was last serviced at 60k. Truck is at the dealership right now for a flush. They pulled a sample off the dipstick, and it was already brown. Didn't smell too burnt, but it was definitely not a pretty pinkish-red any more. And that's only with 40k miles on it, no towing. And since they already have it, I'm having both axles and the t-case done as well.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
162k, and the trans fluid has never been replaced? Only way I'd buy that is if the seller knocks $3k off the price for the inevitable rebuild/replace of the transmission.

And I never understood the whole, "Don't change the fluid" mentality. The trans fluid is shot - has no lubricity, probably has water in it, additives are all gone, why would you leave it in? Is that going to cause LESS damage than putting in good, fresh trans fluid?

The apprehension in changing trans fluid that is "shot" "no lubricity" "no additives remaining" "has water in it" is based upon actual flushes that go bad. The degraded fluid produces more pressure/friction as it is thicker and full of trans component wear sediment. it is all working in harmony and headed for certain failure at an unknown time. by changing the fluid you pull the trigger and kill it on your terms.

last thought to the OP. You are in the market for vehicle. IMO keep looking for one with the 6.2 6 spd. you wont regret the power/torque of the bigger engine.

07YUKONXL534x4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dirty fluid should make you nervous. A full transmission flush would likely result in an extremely shortened lifespan whereas if you just left the fluid alone and ran with it, you may get another 50-100k miles out of it. But definitely budget for the trans rebuild down the road either way.

Another solution I have heard mechanics mention is if the fluid is noticeably dirty, just drop the pan, drain whatever fluid comes out, swap the filter, replace pan and top it off. You can repeat this some time down the road to get even more new fluid into the system, but I definitely would not flush it, ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kootamcgrabbin24