Transmission feels like it is in a lower gear when coasting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fatrusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question about the transmission on the 6.2 with 10spd. When driving normally and I let off the gas pedal the engine feels like is running with compression. Much like keeping the vehicle in a lower gear and then letting off the gas. You feel a bit of motor compression slowing the vehicle. Is this normal with the 10 speed transmission? If you kick it in into neutral, it coasts normally.

I checked and the towing mode is off and the vehicle is in drive. It almost feels like the torque converter is staying locked up when there is no power to the gas.

*2019 Denali

OP
OP
Fatrusty

Fatrusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I drove the kids Denali tonight and it is the same. I guess I am just not used to the way the 10 spd drives. I know my 2017 SLT just costed and did not have any engine compression like the Denali.
All is good!

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Denali as well. I've noticed a slight drag on coasting when in normal drive mode, but it's minimal. I suppose how it feels to you will depend on what you drove before the Yukon. I'm thankful for the (slight) tendency for the transmission to hang on to a gear than to shift up at every opportunity. This is especially noticeable when driving in tow/haul mode (which I always do). Also in tow-haul mode you will receive grade braking when the vehicle senses a deceleration and a downward grade. the first couple of times I experienced grade braking it seemed strange, now I appreciate it. While my 10 speed x-mission is not perfect, it's a step up from the 8 speed in all respects.

wu6fiend

Reaction score
This feeling of "dragging" when coasting is a characteristic of the 8 speed as well. I've noticed it in my 2016 Denali since new.

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 10 speed in my 19' callaway tahoe, it does the same thing, they all "hold" the gear too long, I know on the bigger hills if I lightly tap the gas in will go into the higher gear and coast better, never had this issue in my dozen Escalade's with the 6 speed, the 8 speed was so bad I returned my 2016 Escalade after 3 days which is New Jersey state law and got my "old" Escalade back, the shifting was horrible on my 8 speed

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when I was shopping for my 2012 Denali XL I drove one 2wd that did that exact same thing, felt like it was dragging the second you let of the pedal def not a normal feeling, needless to say I didn't buy it and no other trucks felt that way, I just bought a 2018 Silverado and it doesn't feel that way either.

OP
OP
Fatrusty

Fatrusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in a rental 19 Tahoe lt for a week while on vacation. Yep it seems to stay in a lower gear. I just wonder if is to assist braking around town? Once on the road it is fine. Just cought me off guard .

On another note. Boy the ride between the LT and the Denali wow. Glad I made the switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e