Transmission feels like it is in a lower gear when coasting

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Fatrusty, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Fatrusty

Fatrusty Member

Name:
    Paul
    Question about the transmission on the 6.2 with 10spd. When driving normally and I let off the gas pedal the engine feels like is running with compression. Much like keeping the vehicle in a lower gear and then letting off the gas. You feel a bit of motor compression slowing the vehicle. Is this normal with the 10 speed transmission? If you kick it in into neutral, it coasts normally.

I checked and the towing mode is off and the vehicle is in drive. It almost feels like the torque converter is staying locked up when there is no power to the gas.

*2019 Denali

2. Fatrusty

Fatrusty Member

Name:
    Paul
    Ok I drove the kids Denali tonight and it is the same. I guess I am just not used to the way the 10 spd drives. I know my 2017 SLT just costed and did not have any engine compression like the Denali.
    All is good!

3. sealandsky

sealandsky Full Access Member

Name:
    Rich
    I have a 2019 Denali as well. I've noticed a slight drag on coasting when in normal drive mode, but it's minimal. I suppose how it feels to you will depend on what you drove before the Yukon. I'm thankful for the (slight) tendency for the transmission to hang on to a gear than to shift up at every opportunity. This is especially noticeable when driving in tow/haul mode (which I always do). Also in tow-haul mode you will receive grade braking when the vehicle senses a deceleration and a downward grade. the first couple of times I experienced grade braking it seemed strange, now I appreciate it. While my 10 speed x-mission is not perfect, it's a step up from the 8 speed in all respects.

4. wu6fiend

wu6fiend Member

Name:
    Patrick
    This feeling of "dragging" when coasting is a characteristic of the 8 speed as well. I've noticed it in my 2016 Denali since new.