Transmission and Diff Rebuilds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jazz

Reaction score
Hey all,

I think I can drop the transmission myself- and get it to a shop. I'm wondering who is reputable in Phoenix for rebuilds, and how much am I looking at if I bring the transmission in to them for a rebuild?

I'll throw it back in myself. (Just an average?)

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jazz

Reaction score
I have. I think I might be able to handle something like a transfer case rebuild- but rebuilding a transmission looks kind of intimidating! I don't have any prior skill for that- yet.

Shadowz Edge

Reaction score
I have. I think I might be able to handle something like a transfer case rebuild- but rebuilding a transmission looks kind of intimidating! I don't have any prior skill for that- yet.

I thought the same thing at one time. But after watching a teaching class on YouTube about how to fully rebuild a 4L60E it became clear that all it is is just a case with parts. The classes teach you how to take it apart, what to look for, and how to put it back together.

Let me see if I can find the video series again.

Go through the entire series ... There's something like 19 videos I believe over the span of a couple hours. Very informative.

Shadowz Edge

Reaction score
One thing not covered in the lessons is when you rebuild a transmission to always replace the Torque Convertor.

The reason why is the fluid being held in there could hold particular matter that when everything is back together that material could go right into the new transmission and eat away at all the work you just did.

Another thing to do when rebuilding a transmission is to completely back flush the lines and cooler (s) before joining them up to the fresh rebuild ... This is also to get rid of all the old/bad fluid and particular matter.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It's not that hard. Just need a few hand tools and a few new ones that you will need. Follow the ATSG rebuild guide, use good parts and take your time. These things don't fall out of the sky built in the heavens, they are built here on Earth by men ... men like me and you with hands and tools.

OP
OP
J

Jazz

Reaction score
Maybe I'll try it.. for $450 bucks it might just be worth it! If I can't, it's already dropped and I got the parts.

Thanks for that link..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bekahgentry

Latest posts