Transmission 3rd and 4th gear fall out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shift points and shift firmness are the only changes i can do
Unfortunately that might have done it for an old transmission. If the line pressure was increased it could have at least contributed.

OP
OP
C

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately that might have done it for an old transmission. If the line pressure was increased it could have at least contributed.
Maybe but I've been using that hypertech programmer for 7+ years..
Maybe over the time caused it. I did make 196,496 miles on this one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have built a few of these. Sun shell is the likely culprit of your symptom - The Beast is what you will want - and obviously a new converter. Also Corvette servo and a new EPC. If a good master kit is used, (Raybestos clutches) they should more than suffice unless you are boosted. If the truck shifts how you like, keep the standard valve body config. - if you like firmer shifting under acceleration, then go with a shift kit. If you got 150k miles+ out of the current one - the remaining parts are not 'bad'... just 'proven'.
Built as above, a good independent shop should likely get you going for under $2k. parts are about $335 @ cost; yes, including rebuilt converter. R&R about 5.5 book hours and 8 to disassemble, inspect, clean and rebuild. Rear main is a must-do. Consider checking U-joints as well.
Just came back from a place and they wanted 2k for plain rebuild no upgraded parts. I asked about getting upgraded parts and he said he doesn't recommend oon a standard vehicle..i just laughed because he is telling me this without knowing anything about my Tahoe. Then starts showing me a book of pictures of transmission internal parts. I don't know i just think he was trying to make it complicated.

Jamesd546

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just had mine rebuilt at the beginning of this year. Sun shell failure mixed with a pump failure made $2500 magically disappear from my account.

I don't mind the higher cost though...the shop had excellent reviews and a 3yr/50k warranty which is almost unheard of.

If you're in the Sacramento, Ca area, look up Capitol Transmissions in Citrus Heights.

OP
OP
C

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had mine rebuilt at the beginning of this year. Sun shell failure mixed with a pump failure made $2500 magically disappear from my account.

I don't mind the higher cost though...the shop had excellent reviews and a 3yr/50k warranty which is almost unheard of.

If you're in the Sacramento, Ca area, look up Capitol Transmissions in Citrus Heights.

The dealership quoted me at around 3,200 to $3,500 with a 3yr 100,000 Mile warranty.
I haven't decided yet. Been thinking of maybe just ordering transmission like one from www.rpmtransmissions.com
Would like to make some upgrades in the future to the Tahoe in general.
Screenshot_20180319-235706.png

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran an RPM level 6 in my Silverado SS and it shifted quite well. We've dealt with thousands of modified transmissions over the years and we've only encountered a few lemons from the big name trans builders out there.

You will absolutely not want to use the hypertech with any upgraded valve body components or aftermarket torque converter. Increased shift pressures can quickly lead to a snapped output shaft.

OP
OP
C

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran an RPM level 6 in my Silverado SS and it shifted quite well. We've dealt with thousands of modified transmissions over the years and we've only encountered a few lemons from the big name trans builders out there.

You will absolutely not want to use the hypertech with any upgraded valve body components or aftermarket torque converter. Increased shift pressures can quickly lead to a snapped output shaft.

A custom tune is what i want. I know the hypertech does not match the level of a true custom tune. I just kept running it because of the millage. I was afraid to break something. Now that the time had come to upgrade, i want to start to get what i really want out of this Tahoe.

Mechanic421

06 Denali XL
Reaction score
You my want to check out sonnax web site. They have a 4l60 heavy duty truck build. I just built my self but have not installed yet ,hope it works. But any way sonnax said beast is not the way to go. Check out their smart shell. Not trying to step on any toes! So hope no one is offended that I am dissing the beast!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019