Transmission 3rd and 4th gear fall out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving today on highway and drive gear just fell out. Dropped to third and the same. Had to shift down to 2nd gear to get to my destination.
No codes on programmer. (Hyoertech programmer) i set back to factory setting and tried again. Drive starts off and then just falls out. At lower speed appears to drop in hard but then right back out.
Do you guys think tranny is done or is there something i should look at before taking to transmission shop?

OP
OP
C

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What upgrades should i look into.
Shift kit, corvette servo? Any recommendations.
Currently not in a position to have Tahoe down to long.

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best bet is to tell a transmission guy what you do with it and how you would like it to behave after the rebuild. I just had mine done and here is a short list of the big stuff.

Corvette torque converter with a 2500 stall
Beast Sun Shell
HD front and rear planetary gear sets
Transgo HD2 shift kit
Zpak Clutches
HD wide bands

You can also add billet servos, billet input and output shafts, stronger flexplate, have them check and replace rear main seal if need be while they are in there. Not sure if yours if 4x4, you can also get a transfer case case saver put in at the same time as well.

Best of luck, it can get pricey quick.

If you have time ordering a Performabuilt transmission would also be a great option.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read along several different sources where the 3/4 clutch pack fails due to 3rd accumulator capsule leaking. I'm sure most folks who rebuild/refurbish are aware, but if the capsule isn't inspected & tested, the failure will continue to occur until it is addressed.

I don't like f***ing with s*** so naturally, I would be asking questions and voicing my concerns in regard to this if I were in your position.

OP
OP
C

Cobra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best bet is to tell a transmission guy what you do with it and how you would like it to behave after the rebuild. I just had mine done and here is a short list of the big stuff.

Corvette torque converter with a 2500 stall
Beast Sun Shell
HD front and rear planetary gear sets
Transgo HD2 shift kit
Zpak Clutches
HD wide bands

You can also add billet servos, billet input and output shafts, stronger flexplate, have them check and replace rear main seal if need be while they are in there. Not sure if yours if 4x4, you can also get a transfer case case saver put in at the same time as well.

Best of luck, it can get pricey quick.

How do you feel about that 2500 stall? Daily driver?

00'BlueSteel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is my daily driver I haven’t driven it that much just got it back on the roads this past weekend. The stall is perfect for my big tires and lift kit.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, but what exactly did you change with your Hypertech programmer as far as the transmission goes?

kurtibm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have built a few of these. Sun shell is the likely culprit of your symptom - The Beast is what you will want - and obviously a new converter. Also Corvette servo and a new EPC. If a good master kit is used, (Raybestos clutches) they should more than suffice unless you are boosted. If the truck shifts how you like, keep the standard valve body config. - if you like firmer shifting under acceleration, then go with a shift kit. If you got 150k miles+ out of the current one - the remaining parts are not 'bad'... just 'proven'.
Built as above, a good independent shop should likely get you going for under $2k. parts are about $335 @ cost; yes, including rebuilt converter. R&R about 5.5 book hours and 8 to disassemble, inspect, clean and rebuild. Rear main is a must-do. Consider checking U-joints as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts