Transfer Case rear seal leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCFLHTK

Reaction score
Just got my 07 LTZ out of the shop for a clunking noise in the drive train. Got home last night and noticed fluid on the garage floor. This vehicle has never leaked before. Called the dealer and they said all they did was replace a front u-joint. So I guess back to the shop it goes. Seems odd that this would just start after having it in the shop. Anyone else had an issue like this?

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my 07 LTZ out of the shop for a clunking noise in the drive train. Got home last night and noticed fluid on the garage floor. This vehicle has never leaked before. Called the dealer and they said all they did was replace a front u-joint. So I guess back to the shop it goes. Seems odd that this would just start after having it in the shop. Anyone else had an issue like this?

Was the clunking fixed with the new U-joint?

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it is the transfer case? What color is the fluid?

I had a rear transmission seal that was replaced under warranty.

OP
OP
K

KCFLHTK

Reaction score
Was the clunking fixed with the new U-joint?

Appears so

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 AM ----------

Are you sure it is the transfer case? What color is the fluid?

I had a rear transmission seal that was replaced under warranty.

Yes, it appears to be coming directly out of the rear of the transfer case where the rear drive shaft goes in. There is a cross member right under it and it's leaking onto the cross member.

metal4all6

Reaction score
Maybe they greased the slip yoke and a little bit of fluid got out. My car is going to the dealer on Monday because the tranny cooler lines are leaking.

OP
OP
K

KCFLHTK

Reaction score
Maybe they greased the slip yoke and a little bit of fluid got out. My car is going to the dealer on Monday because the tranny cooler lines are leaking.

Not sure, but it's never leaked before they worked on it.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when pulling the yoke out to replace u joint, its common to tear the seal on a trans or transfer case, when re installing the yoke..

Take it back to shop and demand they replace it as its damage associated to a job they did.

OP
OP
K

KCFLHTK

Reaction score
when pulling the yoke out to replace u joint, its common to tear the seal on a trans or transfer case, when re installing the yoke..

Take it back to shop and demand they replace it as its damage associated to a job they did.

Taking it back in Monday, it's still covered under warranty and my Service Department is awesome so I'm sure they will take care of it.

FLO-LOP 805

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

How can call it common to damage the seal when you remove the driveshaft?

Is not common,slides in,slides out!:shocked:

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea thats right, it slides past through that seal. and the ends are rather shaft and often burred from age.

If the installer didnt hold the DS correctly while guiding the Pre-lubed yoke back in at the correct angle. Its extremly easy to pinch and scratch the seal.

I know cause I have done it numerous times. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz