Trans cooler flow direction ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HankHill

Reaction score
Hi

I'm going to change the fluid in the trans to DexVI and want to unhook the top cooler line & use the trans to pump out the fluid. Having said that, does anyone know which way the fluid flows? Should I plan for fluid to come out of the radiator or the cooler line?

It seems as though the top cooler line is warmer than the bottom, indicating the flow out from the top line....anyone know for sure?

Thanks, HH

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd just have it flushed. With a transmission flush, you connect the cooler line to the machine, and connect the machine to the radiator.

OP
OP
H

HankHill

Reaction score
Well, I figured it out. The fluid flow at the top cooler line is OUT from the radiator.

The job is done. Bought 11 qts of SuperTech DexVI (everything they had on the shelf), a plastic barbed fitting & some clear vinyl hose. Unhooked the cooler line, worked the fitting into the rad outlet enough to make a semi-decent joint, slipped on the hose & pumped out the old fluid a few quarts at a time. Filled 1/2 a 5-gallon bucket; so I figure I got most of the old stuff out.

Truck shifts silky-smooth on the test-run into town & back; maybe 3 miles. Total cost was around $60. Fluid was $4.17/qt. & the rest was the hose & a couple of fittings. Way better than at a shop, I reckon.

Truck has 158K. I think this is the first time the fluid has been serviced....some folk just ain't for preventive maintenance, I guess....

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The manual may recommend that you don't change it unless it is obviously ruined so that has to be taking into account as well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz