Tranny fluid change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasper10101010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys, I came over from thforum and wanted to get some guidance. I recently hit 100k and started doing some tune up maintenance. I have so far changed the plugs(ac delco, which I will be pulling to re-gap to .040, as I followed the owners manual and went 10 .060), plan on new wires as well. I changed out the pcv, oil/filter, air filter, diff oil, and replaced an o2 sensor due to a code.

I have a fuel filter, but need to buy the QD tool for the flex fuel line...pita!

Now, I'm looking at doing the tranny fluid and filter, it's been a long while since I've done this to any vehicle. Looking at the pan, it has a drain plug, which is nice, I remember being dowsed in tranny oil the last time I done this to a vehicle! This may seem like a stupid question, but is there a fill plug on these tranny's? I think I saw a small plug but am not sure if that's it! I don't want to drop the pan and not know how to get the new oil in! Also, I saw on Autozone that there is two different options for the filter type, one for a shallow pan, one for a deep pan...I have the flex fuel apparently(did not know this until I got the wrong belt and fuel filter!) I assume it has the deep pan, it looks deeper than a standard pan.

Help! I need to know if this is something I can easily replace the fluid in or if this is a complete pain! Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Jason

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my tranny fluid replaced during an oil change. I usually do these types of things myself, but the flush that they do is something I don't have the equipment for. They ended up doing a complete tranny flush for me, along with the filter replacement, and it did wonders for the shifting. It's just something to consider.
When I change the fluid on my '89 Chevy truck, I usually just add the fluid through the dipstick tube and it seems to work ok.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
yes i recomend spending $100 and having the full flush done by the shop, you do not have the ability to do a full flush yourself... and i would also request Dexron VI instead of Dexron III

Drgnblood

F%ck Douchebagistan!
Reaction score
yes i recomend spending $100 and having the full flush done by the shop, you do not have the ability to do a full flush yourself... and i would also request Dexron VI instead of Dexron III

what do you think of the royal puple atf....do you recommend it....its 11.99 a qt on post...just curious if its any different than the others

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
RP fluids are top ******* notch, there gear oil is unbeatable IMO.... however RP doesnt make a Dexron VI product, and IF you tranny requires Dexron product which is what is reconded and "required" for GM trannies... now, that being said RP will also tell you if your vehicle requires Dexron VI (i dont think our does but dont quote me on this) not to use RP ATF. however they do make a substitute for Dex III... I was going to have the shop order me some RP and use that as well untill the Tech called me and told me to contact RP about it because he "didnt recomend it"

i use RP motor oil and plan on using the gear oil when that day comes as well

Last edited:

Drgnblood

F%ck Douchebagistan!
Reaction score
RP fluids are top ******* notch, there gear oil is unbeatable IMO.... however RP doesnt make a Dexron VI product, and IF you tranny requires Dexron product which is what is reconded and "required" for GM trannies... now, that being said RP will also tell you if your vehicle requires Dexron VI (i dont think our does but dont quote me on this) not to use RP ATF. however they do make a substitute for Dex III... I was going to have the shop order me some RP and use that as well untill the Tech called me and told me to contact RP about it because he "didnt recomend it"

alright i will contact them and find out.....i dont want to f anything up...i was thinking of doing the flush cuz im getting my vette servo soon....im at 86,351 mi so i figured the original owners prolly didnt do much to it....

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Guys, I came over from thforum and wanted to get some guidance

Oh and Welcome to the Forum....Wealth of knowledge over here.....

OP
OP
J

jasper10101010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I've read differing opinions on the tranny flush with a high mileage vehicle. I'm on the original owner and don't know how often the fluid was changed, if ever! I read a full flush can stir things up and really screw up the tranny. I read it's best to just change the filter and fluid. What are your thoughts on that? The shop down the street quoted $125 or so to just do the fluid and filter change, not sure if they even do a flush. I'll call shortly and see what they offer. What about the refilling of the fluid if I decide to do it myself. The dipstick hole the only option?!?!?

Thanks guys!

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
to my best.... i think its the dipstick hole and youll lose about 5 quarts when you drop the pan and di it yourself. Also, $125 seems high, ESPECIALL if they arent doing a full flush. I have a reputable shop up the road quote me $108 and that with Dexron VI (which is a bit more $$ per quart)

I have also heard about doing this stuff to your tranny after high milage... but i wonder what is worse...

Nappers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've read that backward flushing of tranny pushes debris backwards in places it shouldn't be which is not good.....With that....I drain the pan (I have the deep pan) every year and get about 5-6qts every drain and have done so since 2005 and have 138,000 miles on the clock.

road1will

pretty pretty good
Reaction score
I paid the 100 or so dollars at the dealer for a flush and filter change at around 60k miles and transmission definitely seems to shift smoother and feel tighter now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM