Tranny fluid change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

jasper10101010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe I'll do it myself, seems easy enough. There has to be a better method to refilling the pan though...right?!?!?!? I will drain, drop pan and filter, replace filter, bolt back up and figure out how the hell to get the fluid back in!!! If it's down the dipstick, that's crazy...surely there's an upper plug to refill it...Thanks for all the input. I'm a little nervous about the flush deal though...don't want to have the trans rebuilt just because of a tune up!

Nappers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my '00 it's filled through the dipstick tube.....

I'm leary on a flush.....That's just me, seen some good results and praise them and seen some bad results and felt bad that a new tranny was needed.....probably needed one anyways.

"Don't change the oil, it'll blow up" LOL

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
I just keep trying to blow up my transmission, no luck thus far. Drain and fill is usually a better idea than a flush with higher mileage.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would run RP in every place it could go if I could afford it.

Here are some email exchanges between an RP rep and myself. His replies are in red.

A flush is forcing fluid in to push the old out.

A pan drop is just what it sounds like. Your drop the bottom part of your transmission and change the filter/ clean the screen. Then you put it the pan back on and fill up with the amount needed.

Drive a few thousand miles and repeat the pan drop to get more of our fluid into the transmission. Dealers usually do not recommend a flush as they do not have the equipment to do it.

Have a great day.

This is really helping, thank you. If I may continue. If I just do a pan drop then i'll be mixing the RP with what's left in the tranny and from the numbers you indicated, the RP will be diluted/mixed with what's still in there. Is that bad/do you see any benefits from that or does RP recommend a flush when switching to ensure the full benefits?
Thanks.

The pan drop is fine, our will over power what ever oil it mixes with as our film strength is 400 times stronger. With the mix we also recommend doing another pan drop at 5,000 miles to get a high concentrate of our oil in the tranny.

MY PERSONAL opinion-
A flush is like a empty glass with sugar in the bottom of it, then you pour tea into it. The sugar is stirred up and not is floating all around. What if the sugar was metal shavings in the pan and you flushed the transmission? Well the shavings will stir and go all over the transmission and could give you problems later. I know a lot of people who have never had a problem with flushes, but I myself would never have a flush done on my person car/truck. It is your call and this is my opinion not Royal Purple’s.

Have not seen that site before. One of the guys talks about Mobil 1 and how it is $5 and RP is $7. Here is an article that show the hp gain and torque gain over Mobil 1 from an independent 3rd party- http://www.royalpurple.com/corvette_enthusiast/corvette_enthusiast.html. Also Mobil 1 has to be changed every 4,000- 5,000 miles while our oil can go 12,000- 15,000 miles with a filter change and oil top off every 4,000- 5,000 miles.

Dodge with 5 quarts-

Mobil 1- 5 quarts x $5= $25+ tax and a filter
4,000 miles later $25+tax and a filter again
8,000 miles $25+tax and filter
12,000 miles $25+ tax and a filter

$100+ tax and 4 filters

Royal Purple- 5 quarts x $7= $35+ tax and a filter
4,000 miles 1 quarts to replace the quart lost by filter change $7+tax and filter
8,000 miles 1 quart $7+ tax and filter
12,000 5 quarts x $7=$35+ tax and filter

$84+ tax and 4 filters

That does not count the fuel savings since we are increasing the power on the car by reducing the parasitic loss. Here is a Dodge Ram that gained 24 lbs of torque by changing all of the fluid over to our oil on “TRUCKS”- http://www.royalpurple.com/video/video.html

Hope this helps

dec322

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about changing the tranny fluid in my Yukon. It has 97k on it and the manual says to change the fluid/filter at 100k (if it was not used for towing). I talked to my local express oil and that guy told me that I should not touch it if the fluid has over 75k on it. It had something to do with the gears "glazing". He said they would do it but I would have to sign a waiver.

He also told me that you should never change the brake fluid...unless it get contaminated.

Sounds weird to me...what do you guys think?

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been doing the preventative maintenance service game for about 12 years now; here's the skinny on flushes :imo:.

If your fliud is not broken down (thinned out and/or discolored) and you are at the recommended service interval, flushing the system is good for it. Don't be scared off by the fact that it has 100k on the fluid, the same fluid was recommmended every 30k until they started making transmissions that ran cooler than NASA rockets. Cooler running transmissions make for longer lasting fluids (hence why GM leads the field as one of only a few manufacturers that have a 100k interval)

If the fluid is broken down, then pan drop, replace filter, refill, run for 5k, rinse and repeat.

Theory behind this (and I've seen it happen). If your fluid is in good shape and you are at the rec. interval, it is good to perform the service, the interval is in place to keep your fluid from getting bad.

If you have gone past the rec. interval, or you fluid is in poor condition, flushing the system will shock the gearbox. Over time, your transmission adjust to the fluid as it slowly breaks down, similar to how most people dont realize their shocks are worn out because they have adjusted to them as they have worn out. If you flush out your thinned out fluid with completely new fluid, you are going to shock the transmission because it doesnt know how to perform with the good fluid, causing problems. Instead of changing all the fluid, do 1/3 of it, and let the transmission readjust itself as it gets used to the better fluid.

Another thing that I notice on the first post.

I have so far changed the plugs(ac delco, which I will be pulling to re-gap to .040, as I followed the owners manual and went 10 .060), plan on new wires as well.

Maybe Im thinking of a different year/engine, but I thought this engine took irridium spark plugs, which you do not want to regap. :Nonono:

Nappers

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another thing that I notice on the first post.

Maybe Im thinking of a different year/engine, but I thought this engine took irridium spark plugs, which you do not want to regap. :Nonono:

I thought the same......I have GM Iridiums and my parts guy said just throw 'em in and don't gap them and I think the box said not to gap.

hapyspaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the same......I have GM Iridiums and my parts guy said just throw 'em in and don't gap them and I think the box said not to gap.

The iridium center electrode is very thin. Unlike a conventional plug, you cannot gap the plug by sandwiching a gap tool between the electrode and the ground strap, then pushing on the ground strap. The hard electrode will dig into the gap tool, and when you remove the gap tool, you'll break the electrode. Instead, adjust the ground strap by tapping it on a hard surface, or by pulling it gently with a tool; then measure the gap using your gap tool.

dub02gpgt

dub
Reaction score
i wasn't aware of the specifics on this, but i switched all of my fluids except for the transfer case to RP. i also run RP in my grand prix and my dad runs it in all of his vehicles. i've never noticed any issues with having RP in my transmission either...

OP
OP
J

jasper10101010

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Plug gap!!

I thought I was losing my mind regarding the plug gapping...I knew I read that they should be gapped to meet engine spec...so I had to go look at the plug box. So, I bought the damn ac delco iridium plugs...was a it scared to gap them, but it specifically reads on the box to gap them to meet engine specs! So, I have one of those round plug gappers and that;s what I used to get them to .060, it did scratch up my gapper, but did not appear to cause any damage at all to the super hard iridium tips! I will be pulling the plugs and gapping them back to .040 this coming up weekend.

I just thought I would let you guys in on the plug gap instructions on the ac delco box! I can post a pic of the box for reference if you'd like! I thought I was losing my mind...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401