Tranny fluid change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you turn it on and run it through the gears while somebody else poured tranny fluid in? Do you tow a lot to flush that often or just being safe?

You do not have to run it through the gears. The tranny pump is going, even in park. I do not tow at all, I am just being safe.

Withac, the method you describe is pretty much what the home flush entails. You are just routing out old fluid, and routing in new fluid. But the way most do it is:

1. Turn on the truck for about 20 seconds to dump out about 1-2 quarts in big bucket, then turn truck off
2. Pour in 1-2 new quarts through dipstick with funnel.
3. Repeat

You just do those steps until you have cycled through the entire capacity of the truck. The only (probable) issue is when your big bucket starts getting full and you get worried about whether you poured too much in versus siphoned too much out, or vice-versa. So what you can do is take the empty quart bottles and start filling them from the bucket. Label those "USED" and you can easily see where you stand. It also makes it easier for recycling purposes.

Or...the way I did it...I put my bucket on my digital scale and just did it by weight. I forgot how much each quart weighs, but I can look it up. I wrote it down somewhere.

Either way, if you take your time, will work out with no problems.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am also curious of this subject as my 02 yukon just hit 190 and I don't think the fluid has been changed since 75K or so. It sounds like I should just do a drain and filter and put in 5 quarts if Dexron VI?

x2...anybody?

YNOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for me every 30,000 i do front and rear diffs, transfer case, transmission fluid/filter, fuel filter. just drain and fill yourself in the garage every 30,000 and drive the thing.

i just did it all this weekend, tons of fun laying on the garage floor.....lol. i don't trust most people to work on my stuff.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

As far as I know 06 was the first year Dexron VI was recommended. I could be wrong though.
yeah on the bottom it says it's compatible with the older Dexron II and III call outs, i just put it in my 2001.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

Sorry to drag this back out. I'm new so let me know if I'm F'd up. Jason hopefully you haven't done your tranny drain and fill, cause I'll let you in on a couple of gotchas. Take a look at your tranny pan, if it is multi leveled, i.e. it has a deeper portion and a shallo portion to it, it's the deep pan if it's uniformly level across the bottom, it's the shallow pan. This only makes a big difference if you have the deep pan and get the shallow filter, it won't be sitting down in the fluid.

The drain and fill is really easy especially since you have a drain plug, mine didn't. After you drain it, pull of the tranny pan. This will be particularly difficult with the shift cable bracket on the driver's side. It takes a T-40, but mine was impossible to get at even with a stubby wrench, so I just bent it out of the way. With the pan off, clean it and the magnet, I use carb cleaner.

Now this is the biggest gotcha I wish I woulda known. You just pull the filter out of the valve body. There is a rubber and metal gasket up in the filter port on the valve body. If you can't pull it out with your finger, leave it in and just slap the new filter in. I almost ended up f-ing up my valve body trying to get that thing out. Slap your pan back on with a new gasket, bend the shift cable bracket back in place, and fill her up from the tranny tube under the hood. For your '06, Dexron VI is recommended and will take somewhere around 4.5 to 5 quarts.

As far as the flush goes, I would echo what everyone else has said. Also my buddies at the local GM dealership straight up told me the chemicals they flush with are really funky and tend to F up engines more than help them, so stay away. If you're looking to swap out RP, do a drain and fill, you'll only replace about 1/3 of the fluid, drive for 5k miles and do another one, then another. I would stay away from the technique of draining, filling, and turning your engine on and shifting to flush it. Yikes. Hope that helps.
i've never heard of anyone getting those drain bolts out, gm screwed up on those. if you do get it out, i guess they make a steel replacement.
yeah i bent that shifter cable bracket out of the way because i couldn't get those t40's out.
i left the old trans filter seal in because the new filter fit nice and tight in there. (both on my tahoe and silverado)
i have the deep pan so i had to add 5 1/8 quarts.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
My shop uses a machine to do trans fluid exchanges. It is not a flush, but an exchange. We stick the tube down the trans dipstick and it sucks everything out of the pan. Then it adds back in about 5 quarts. The machine then tells you to start the car and row thru the gears about 5 times or so. Then we just leave it in neutral with the engine running and the machine just keeps sucking out the old and replacing it with new stuff. You can see the color of the old fluid coming out and new red fluid going in. The machine does a good job, and supposedly doing it this way, you never have to change the filter which obviously eliminates dropping the pan. We charge $100 for it and we use Dex6 because it is compatible with almost everything out there. This is probably the best way to go because it is not messy at all and can be done in less than 45 mins. Also, as far as when to change it..... We don't change it if the vehicle has 100K or more, unless it has been done at least once before or if manufacturer scheduled maintenance says to do so at 100K. The reason why is because over time, the bands and clutches break down and the contaminates flow with the trans fluid and stick to other parts of the trans. When you pull out the old fluid and put in the new fluid, it will cause the gritty pieces to come loose and flow with new fluid..... this is what kills the transmission and why most shops will say, "Just leave it alone and only top it off if it gets low". They don't want to be on the hook for a new trans for a measly $100 maintenance job. One last thing..... My neighbor just had her Hyundai trans fluid exchanged at 125K miles ...... Trans took a dump a week later..... I told her why and she was beside herself after that.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076