Traded in my '10 Tahoe for a '15 - mini build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evoalex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to upgrading my '10 tahoe after 133,000 miles.

New Tahoe by Alex Stone, on Flickr

Went from white to black. Had a couple quesitons though. I realized only the LTZ runs the DRL in the daytime and no one has figured out a programing workaround, does anybody run their 'parking' lights in the daytime just to have the LED's on?

List of mods I'm looking to get.

-HID or LED headlamps? (i've heard mix things about the LED lights) Any links on either?
-24" black wheels - still shopping around for the right wheel
-LED lights all around - parking, reverse, license plate
-Blacked out grille? Has anyone found a nice one yet?
-Any type of black out vinyl for the silver window trim?

Thanks guys,
Alex

Cmicasa the Great XvX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plastidip the grille. MAsk off rest and spray. If U don't like.. tear it off after it dries. Do the same to the trim. Wheels??? Personally I like the stock 22s for the Yukon.. but the Escalade's 22s are the best. I don't mess with Aftermarket rims anymore. They are way too expensive and usually not as good of quality

Bulbs. I went with SilverStar zXe Headlight H11s and am happy as a pig in slop. They almost look HID and increase visibility

OP
OP
evoalex

evoalex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plastidip the grille. MAsk off rest and spray. If U don't like.. tear it off after it dries. Do the same to the trim. Wheels??? Personally I like the stock 22s for the Yukon.. but the Escalade's 22s are the best. I don't mess with Aftermarket rims anymore. They are way too expensive and usually not as good of quality

Bulbs. I went with SilverStar zXe Headlight H11s and am happy as a pig in slop. They almost look HID and increase visibility

Did plastidip grille on my 2010, and badges, they stayed on well for 5 years. I wonder if the trim will hold up just as well.

I'm already on the market for some 24's much like I had on the 2010, I just haven't seen many here on the site, and am curious to why. Seems like 4 years ago everyone and their mother had nice wheels on their tahoe's.

Do you have photos of those Silverstar zxe's in your ride? I'm curious if they'd match the LED's in the headlight on a tahoe (in color temperature).

Thanks.

Cmicasa the Great XvX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did plastidip grille on my 2010, and badges, they stayed on well for 5 years. I wonder if the trim will hold up just as well.

I'm already on the market for some 24's much like I had on the 2010, I just haven't seen many here on the site, and am curious to why. Seems like 4 years ago everyone and their mother had nice wheels on their tahoe's.

Do you have photos of those Silverstar zxe's in your ride? I'm curious if they'd match the LED's in the headlight on a tahoe (in color temperature).

Thanks.

Sorry I don't.. and am too lazy to go out and get some right now. I will try later

vtxmc6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Went from white to black. Had a couple quesitons though. I realized only the LTZ runs the DRL in the daytime and no one has figured out a programing workaround, does anybody run their 'parking' lights in the daytime just to have the LED's on?

-HID or LED headlamps? (i've heard mix things about the LED lights) Any links on either?

Thanks guys,
Alex

Thanks guys,
Alex

vtxmc6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2015 Tahoe LT. I added black Chevrolet emblems available from dealers. My LT came without foglights, and in their place are a number of very low rent black knockout pieces. I tried to talk to Chevrolet about adding a pair of factory foglights. I also asked for a means to reprogram my LED lights to work as DRLs. Every Chevrolet Cobalt, and most other economy cars sport LED DRLs and foglights. After several conversations with my local dealer and Chevrolet company service, nothing can be done.
Besides the black Chevrolet emblems, I have added factory body side moldings, factory mud guards, cover for trailer hitch, led license plate lights and silverstar backup bulbs, which will be replaced shortly with LEDs.
Good luck with your project. I look forward to watching your progress
2015TAHOE-NO PLATE.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
evoalex

evoalex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2015 Tahoe LT. I added black Chevrolet emblems available from dealers. My LT came without foglights, and in their place are a number of very low rent black knockout pieces. I tried to talk to Chevrolet about adding a pair of factory foglights. I also asked for a means to reprogram my LED lights to work as DRLs. Every Chevrolet Cobalt, and most other economy cars sport LED DRLs and foglights. After several conversations with my local dealer and Chevrolet company service, nothing can be done.
Besides the black Chevrolet emblems, I have added factory body side moldings, factory mud guards, cover for trailer hitch, led license plate lights and silverstar backup bulbs, which will be replaced shortly with LEDs.
Good luck with your project. I look forward to watching your progress
View attachment 57963

Thanks for the info. It's quite disconcerting that these DRL can't be programmed to be as bright and work like they do on the LTZ.

So far I've ordered/process of doing:

-LED License plate lights
-LED Reverse lights
-3M Vinyl sheets for my window trim
-Plasti-Dip for my emblems and grill
-55w 5000k HID's for the lowbeams
-Going limo tint all around

Currently going back and forth with someone about some 24" KMC Slides.

On the fence about ordering:

-2/3 leveling kit
-Cadillac Esky Taillights off ebay (which will suck because I spend $40 on the reverse LED's, super bright ones).

vtxmc6

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It's quite disconcerting that these DRL can't be programmed to be as bright and work like they do on the LTZ.

So far I've ordered/process of doing:

-LED License plate lights
-LED Reverse lights
-3M Vinyl sheets for my window trim
-Plasti-Dip for my emblems and grill
-55w 5000k HID's for the lowbeams
-Going limo tint all around

Currently going back and forth with someone about some 24" KMC Slides.

On the fence about ordering:

-2/3 leveling kit
-Cadillac Esky Taillights off ebay (which will suck because I spend $40 on the reverse LED's, super bright ones).

Sounds like you have some good plans. I had my front windows tinted, though they are not as dark as the factory tint on the back windows. I am still looking at low-beam headlight replacements, but the passenger side headlight bulb is buried behind an air intake box, which must be removed to gain access to the bulb. I installed an HID headlight on my motorcycle and the difference is amazing. Please let me know which HID lights you purchase and how the install goes.

Some other items that I purchased were a removable tray for the front console and a cargo shade for the back. I live in the northeast where we get quite a bit of snow, so I purchased Michelin floor liners, that cover all of the carpeted area very nicely. j

The windows in the picture that I posted were tinted courtesy of photoshop. The dashboard and passenger assist handle did not look very good in the photo.

Chevrolet has numerous items for the Tahoes and most are available at discounted prices from Chevrolet dealers on eBay.

Good luck with your new vehicle.

AZRiverRunner

Reaction score
Congrats on the new purchase. I installed LED tail lights and license plate lights, no issues. I tried to install HID kit and the fittings supplied with my kit did not fit the factory fittings so I opted for just replacing the bulbs with Sylvania H11 Silverstar Ultra High Performance Halogen bulbs from Amazon for $38.41 including shipping. They also have a 1 year warranty. It made a big enough difference that I'm no longer inspired to try to get the HID lights to work. They look whiter, and they illuminate the road much better than the stock bulbs. The HID kit also had several components, that, in my opinion will be more likely to fail in the future and more difficult to deal with than a burned out bulb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natenate