Traction control light when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcorbin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2007 tahoe that has a 3 inch leveling kit with forged rough country upper control arms and I'm on 35's, every once and awhile if I take a turn too sharply then my traction control light will flash and my pedals will shutter a little but after about 2 seconds it goes away, If I remember correctly when I was running my stock wheels it didn't do this, if anyone has had a similar problem and knows how to fix it or help please let me know.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I don’t have that problem. I’ll suggest a test to find out if it’s traction control or stability control (Stabilitrak). The first you can turn off with the dash button; not the second.

So if you know a maneuver that will replicate the problem, try it with the TC turned off. If it remains an issue, then it’s Stabilitrak engaging.

TC problems are usually caused by failing wheel speed sensors. However the system is really good at detection of a marginal sensor and usually you will have the ABS light or a dash indicator to service traction control.

Unfortunately I’m not as well informed about the operation of Stabilitrak, because I’ve not needed to repair it. I expect there’s a steering angle sensor and/or body rotation sensors involved. I’ve managed to engage it a few times by intentionally driving like a hooligan on slippery stuff and trying to get sideways. Which it really doesn’t like.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 tahoe that has a 3 inch leveling kit with forged rough country upper control arms and I'm on 35's, every once and awhile if I take a turn too sharply then my traction control light will flash and my pedals will shutter a little but after about 2 seconds it goes away, If I remember correctly when I was running my stock wheels it didn't do this, if anyone has had a similar problem and knows how to fix it or help please let me know.
How did you stuff 35s under a 3 inch level? As for the lights, you will want to check your connectors and wiring at each corner and then get the front end up off the ground and check the front hubs. Pedal shudder, that might have something to do with the ABS pump.

Do you have a Tech-2 or other bi-directional scan tool?

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07 has rough country 3.5 knuckle lift in front still on 33s and does exactly same thing turn sharply and traction control light flashes sometimes brake pedal will pulse kinda like abs surge but not exactly. Only once in a while randomly no clue why. Does it going fast or slow. I replaced both front wheel bearings when I did the lift back in March that's when mine started doing it.

OP
OP
rcorbin

rcorbin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don’t have that problem. I’ll suggest a test to find out if it’s traction control or stability control (Stabilitrak). The first you can turn off with the dash button; not the second.

So if you know a maneuver that will replicate the problem, try it with the TC turned off. If it remains an issue, then it’s Stabilitrak engaging.

TC problems are usually caused by failing wheel speed sensors. However the system is really good at detection of a marginal sensor and usually you will have the ABS light or a dash indicator to service traction control.

Unfortunately I’m not as well informed about the operation of Stabilitrak, because I’ve not needed to repair it. I expect there’s a steering angle sensor and/or body rotation sensors involved. I’ve managed to engage it a few times by intentionally driving like a hooligan on slippery stuff and trying to get sideways. Which it really doesn’t like.
I have turned off my traction control manually and it seems to go away, whenever I was installing my leveling kit I accidentally broke the bracket for the wheel speed sensor up top so that might have something to do with it. Im probally going to check those out sometime this week when I get time.

OP
OP
rcorbin

rcorbin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How did you stuff 35s under a 3 inch level? As for the lights, you will want to check your connectors and wiring at each corner and then get the front end up off the ground and check the front hubs. Pedal shudder, that might have something to do with the ABS pump.

Do you have a Tech-2 or other bi-directional scan tool?
I clear 35's pretty easily, all I had to do was pull my fender liner out of the way a little bit, I do run into some clearance issues with my sway bar but I will be getting spacers soon so that should help that a little bit.
Also sadly I do not own either of those tools, I am looking into purchasing one just incase I might need it in the future.

OP
OP
rcorbin

rcorbin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 07 has rough country 3.5 knuckle lift in front still on 33s and does exactly same thing turn sharply and traction control light flashes sometimes brake pedal will pulse kinda like abs surge but not exactly. Only once in a while randomly no clue why. Does it going fast or slow. I replaced both front wheel bearings when I did the lift back in March that's when mine started doing it.
Have you found a fix for it yet, or does it still do it?

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rcorbin Same thing over here man, lifted about 3 inches in the front and back and sometimes if I take a sharp turn or a turn on uneven ground I will notice the lights flashing on the dash. I have new hubs in the front and I've made sure all my speed sensors are plugged in correctly. I suspect this happens when you get 1 wheel in the air

OP
OP
rcorbin

rcorbin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@rcorbin Same thing over here man, lifted about 3 inches in the front and back and sometimes if I take a sharp turn or a turn on uneven ground I will notice the lights flashing on the dash. I have new hubs in the front and I've made sure all my speed sensors are plugged in correctly. I suspect this happens when you get 1 wheel in the air
Yeah probably something like that, I am happy to find out that it isn't happening to just me