TPMS RESET ISSUES

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried researching this and wasted a few dollars filling and deflating tires and seem to make things worst. Initially, my front passenger tire would not show a PSI on screen, just "--". Did relearn process and was able to get car to beep with 2 front tires but passenger rear would take forever no matter how long I deflated and system would just beep twice. I have dunlop tires that show max psi of 51. Got tired of wasting coins. Was looking for feedback on what I may be doing wrong for it to time out.

Now, assuming due to reset not being done properly, all my tires have the "--" on the monitor. For the record, all tires were at 38-39 psi before I started and first 2 went through successfully so I dont think the 3rd had to be at max PSI to do test.

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

sunrisor

Reaction score
It could be a dead battery in the TPM. I replaced mine in a '08 Envoy, when I had tires put on, figuring they were close to going dead. Not sure, but I think you need a special tool to reset/sync the TPMs.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen a handful of videos where people reset without a special tool, just by following a process of letting air out of tires in a pattern. What type of battery does the TPS take?

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This video is what I followed except I had to hold lock/unlock on my remote to get it to start process. I used a pressure reader to let air out and I was not letting air out that fast thinking the system needed time rather than a certain amount of air to let out. Someone commented that they had to go as low as 18 psi. I'm pretty sure the rear was being read prior to my troubleshooting so I will give it another go after work and this time, let air out as fast as possible. Dropped my phone and put a nice spider crack on the screen. Now I'm fully determined to get this small stupid issue resolved without a dealer's assistance.

sunrisor

Reaction score
It's certainly worth it to keep trying. The TPMs are a sealed unit, battery not replaceable (unless someone here has a way). I read (here I think), that the battery lasts 8-10 years. I bought my Envoy in late '14 with 95k miles on it. There was nothing wrong with them, just figured they would go dead sometime in the next year or so, long before I would need tires again. If yours is a '11, technically it should have a considerable amount of battery life left.

lucky for me (...sorry) my '03 Yukon XL doesn't have TPMs.

Someone here should come along with whether that sequence works.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i went to place i originally got car to get free air and help with tpms and confirmed either a tire has a bad sensor or missing completely. I did the test to perfection with no great of how much air i lost. Since i started with only1 tire giving blank message, I'll assume i have only1 bad sensor. My understanding it's these things last 5 to 7 years and I'm sure high mileage impacts those numbers even more.

Found a great link discussing where to get them for the cheap along with best way to save on install.

http://www.stevejenkins.com/blog/2014/11/tpms-warning-light-replace-your-tpms-sensors-for-cheap/

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to share issue resolved! New TPS worked like a charm. Called a couple shops and went from 30 for 1 tire install to 10 bucks. The Discount Tire didnt have to remove entire tire to replace TPS. They also did the reset for me and made sure I had adequate air in all tires including spare and gave me the TPS caps for remaining wheels. Not to mention I grabbed a free water. I also confirmed they match tire rack prices, just have to come in with my own ad since tirerack blocked them from viewing due to too much sales loss lol. Strongly recommend anyone interested go for the newer ones and find cheapest place to replace or wait until your tires need to be changed and do it all at the same time.

I confirmed I have 8/32 left on my tires (in the yellow). Will replace the remaining sensors whether they are bad or not when its time to replace the tires, just to avoid the extra work and in the long run, save 30 bucks, assuming they will go bad anyway before I have to change tires again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper