Towing with a 2001 tahoe LT 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Familytahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Going to be doing an 9 hour trip from Cali to Idaho in the ol girl hauling a small 3 bedroom apt ( hopefully 2 trips) with a trailer, I'm a first time tower any advice?

I know she'll make it no problem. New tranny put in 10k ago and radiator, I'm nervous as hell!! Going to do a tune up (top of the line plugs and oil change and top of line pads) before the trip

Should I use tow/haul the whole way? Or shift myself?

I was researching stuff and i read that the 3.73 rear end is the best for towing does my lt have one? How do I check?

Last edited:

6speedblazer

Reaction score
for towing, just keep an eye on trans and coolant temps, i run a bluetooth dongle and just set my phone up to show a bunch of PID

make sure all fluids are topped off and brakes are in good order.

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can tell what gear ratio you have by checking the RPO codes on the inside of you glove box lid.

Check for one of these codes.
GT4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO
GT5 -- AXLE REAR, 4.10 RATIO
GU4 -- AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO
GU5 -- AXLE REAR, 3.23 RATIO
GU6 -- AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
G80 -- AXLE REAR, locking differential.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to be doing an 9 hour trip from Cali to Idaho in the ol girl hauling a small 3 bedroom apt ( hopefully 2 trips) with a trailer, I'm a first time tower any advice?

I know she'll make it no problem. New tranny put in 10k ago and radiator, I'm nervous as hell!! Going to do a tune up (top of the line plugs and oil change and top of line pads) before the trip

Should I use tow/haul the whole way? Or shift myself?

I was researching stuff and i read that the 3.73 rear end is the best for towing does my lt have one? How do I check?

Tow mode should be fine, especially if you have a 3.43. If its a 3.08, expect a LOT of shifting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travisryan78