Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

707Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So your hoe didn't come with a receiver, but had an upgraded trans cooler? I just bought my hoe and are looking to put a receiver on for some towing. I was wondering if my trans would hold up also at 138k

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your hoe didn't come with a receiver, but had an upgraded trans cooler? I just bought my hoe and are looking to put a receiver on for some towing. I was wondering if my trans would hold up also at 138k

if you drive like a human and not beat on it while towing you might get some life out of it, how heavy will the load be?

my 01 Denali has about 128k on it now and I tow a 30'+ travel trailer and it seems to be doing fine. keep the fluid fresh and cool and try not to push it while in OD because thats where the heat will start to build quickly. also towing on a stock converter in lockup can cause slipping and smoke the converter.

Yukonboy2014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow my 10k pound boat with my tahoe all summer. Granted the tahoe is rated for 8k but...I push things over the limit alot haha. Granted I do have the HD towing package..But in the south texas heat, I'll take all the cooling I can get. The tranny cooler extends the transmission's life greatly in the heat. She struggled a little in the hill country but just when you arrive, make sure you don't just cut the engine off...make sure you let it idle for a little while to let itself cool off. The second you turn off the engine, that is when your cooling stops to it. I also have 241k miles on er, original tranny and only one flush done to her...may be time for it again too :)

Last edited:

707Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tow my 10k pound boat with my tahoe all summer. Granted the tahoe is rated for 8k but...I push things over the limit alot haha. Granted I do have the HD towing package..But in the south texas heat, I'll take all the cooling I can get. The tranny cooler extends the transmission's life greatly in the heat. She struggled a little in the hill country but just when you arrive, make sure you don't just cut the engine off...make sure you let it idle for a little while to let itself cool off. The second you turn off the engine, that is when your cooling stops to it. I also have 241k miles on er, original tranny and only one flush done to her...may be time for it again too :)

Wow, you've got some miles on your tahoe! At least I feel a lot more confident after reading your post. I'm looking to pick up a 21' boat, so boat and trailer combined should be under 8k ibs. My concern is the hills out here traveling to Lake Berryessa, but I guess we'll find out. Gonna do a service this month before anything

OP
OP
BLKTah02

BLKTah02

Full Access Member
Reaction score

yea mine has a cooler but didn't have the receiver on there, I have curt on there now, I towed my 3000lb nova with 3 passengers and some luggage and it pulled it fine, no issues, only thing was a quarter of the way there I didn't have it in tow/haul mode, as soon as I put that on, it felt a lot more powerful kept the trans and motor in the powerband

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jethro779