Towing Packages/Capabilities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WiredLlama

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this may be beating a dead horse around here but I can't find the specific information I am looking for and I can't PM yet (just purchased a Tahoe this week).

I have an 2007 Tahoe LS 4wd 5.3L.
VIN# 1GNFK13037R160022

I know my vehicle does not have the transmission cooler. My loaded boat only weighs in around 3,500 lbs so I am not too concerned about the truck not being able to handle it however I do have some questions about what exactly my truck has. Reading through old posts and searching I am a little confused over the towing packages that may or may not have been available on the '07 models (trailer package, towing package, HD trailering package?). I'm curious as to what my vehicle has or doesn't have (gears, etc... if possible to tell) I've seen instances on here where a very helpful GM rep or others with access to GM's system have been helpful in obtaining spec sheets for people by running VINs.

I would be very appreciative if anyone can lend me a hand.

Thanks in advance!
Jason

wildwest450

Reaction score
You need the RPO code that's in the glove box, it should start with GU...(for the rear end), if it doesn't have a transmission cooler, it doesn't have a tow package. Even if it had a 3.08, that boat would be no problem, but I would still do a cooler.

OP
OP
W

WiredLlama

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea, I've been doing a little more looking into it. I snapped a pic of the RPO codes in the glove box and found a GM RPO code master list online. I'm going through the codes right now.

The GT4 code indicates a 3.73 according to this list I found. I've seen a few articles on adding the trans cooler. It doesn't seem very difficult or expensive. I'm pretty technically proficient so it shouldn't be a problem especially with a lift at my disposal (family owned auto body business). This is my first GM vehicle and we just bought it so I am trying to become familiar with everything.

Another question if you would humor me: Do all the Tahoes come with pre-wired brake controller wiring or is that only part of the tow package. My boat trailer doesn't have electric brakes but occasionally I haul coal with a dump trailer that is significantly heavier for short distances maybe twice a year.

thanks

wildwest450

Reaction score
I don't know the answer to that, but with the 3.73 gears, I would think it would have the towing package. I always assumed the towing package at least included taller gears a trans cooler and wiring/hitch. I do think the "packages" vary by year, the newer hoes have brake controllers included.

If yours isn't wired it's easy to do on the later models, you can get kits that plug into the rear wiring harness. My 99 just cost me $250 for a stupid 7 pin plug, because wires had to be run from front to back.

OP
OP
W

WiredLlama

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ouch, that's unfortunate.

I guess I can always look to see if the wires are there under the dash.

I'll probably look into adding the trans cooler as well. They don't seem to be very expensive and it certainly can't hurt to have one.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
generally a towing package is usually a reciever installed at the factory and an extra fan up front to for your tranny cooler
and if yours wasnt installed at the dealer ship you can have one installed for under 300
and unless you live in like fllorida or central US id recomend at least 3.73 rear axle ratio if you live were there is some large mountains and your always towing up a mountain pass id go with a 4.10

OP
OP
W

WiredLlama

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got the 3.73. I plan on purchasing and installing the transmission cooler myself so that should at least cut the price in half.

My old towing vehicle was an '03 Tundra. I know its a rough comparison but I think it had a 3.9 rear and a smaller engine (4.7L) with less HP and torque and I never had any trouble towing any of my stuff with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleTank