Towing MPG (interested in all years, 2000 - 2017)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flash1976

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I get around 7 but it's an 8.1. Passes everything but a gas pump
I would buy an 8.1 if it were available. My 6.0 works great, but out here in California we have some steep grades at high elevation where it can be a struggle. One grade from the high desert to Big Bear Lake is 14% at times as you go from 4000 ft to 7000 ft elevation.

Flash1976

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a 2009 Yukon XL SLT, 5.3L, 6 speed auto. My 19ft travel trailer is about 3800lbs dry, but we tend to be "everything including the kitchen sink" people when we go camping... trunk pretty loaded with firewood, tools, gear, drinking water, etc. Family of four inside. Canoe on the roof. Trailer loaded with clothes, food, bikes, and water holding tank full (one site this year didn't have potable water onsite). Level ground and no head wind, if I'm lucky we'll do 100-110km/h in 5th gear and get about 25L/100km (9.4mpg). If I'm not lucky and we end up in 4th, then I'm looking at about 35L/100km (6.7mpg). For comparison, unladen in 6th I'll get about 14L/100km (16.8mpg).

Never had a problem with power, maintaining speed in a headwind uphill, etc. It tows like a dream. It's just super thirsty, that's all.

View attachment 183333
Judging by the rear end of your rig, the tongue weight is pretty high. One advantage of the 2500. Rougher ride, but higher capacity on rear end.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting information, thanks for sharing it.

No trailer, but my first trip with my 2014 6 speed, what a difference! 20 -21 mpg on back roads, 19 mpg at 85. Basically 30% better than my 2002 4 speed. I won't get the snow to test with the trailer for a bit yet, but this trip make me optimistic.

Lucky dog! My 2009 has yet to see a solid 18 at any highway speed, even 16 would be nice. Might have to change gas stations again.

Teeroy78

Reaction score
Judging by the rear end of your rig, the tongue weight is pretty high. One advantage of the 2500. Rougher ride, but higher capacity on rear end.
I never weighed the tongue weight. I just know it handles the travel trailer way better than the Xterra it replaced! :)

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a mighty big TT for a single axle, I would try shifting more of the internal contents to around or behind the axle; carefully!

Teeroy78

Reaction score
That's a mighty big TT for a single axle, I would try shifting more of the internal contents to around or behind the axle; carefully!
I agree, it is too big for a single axle. I didn't know any better when I bought it. Turns out the original axle was only rated to 3500 lbs and relied on tongue weight to carry load up to the trailer's rated maximum.

On a road trip to Montreal (in the Xterra, the very trip for which the photo above was taken and our first time out with our new-to-us trailer), we managed to bend the axle. Rookie mistake, possibly, but I still feel like it was poor engineering design to have such a flimsy axle. When we got home and I took the TT in for repairs, they said they could straighten out the existing axle. I said no thanks to that option and had them replace it with a 5000 lbs axle. No problems since.

Flash1976

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree, it is too big for a single axle. I didn't know any better when I bought it. Turns out the original axle was only rated to 3500 lbs and relied on tongue weight to carry load up to the trailer's rated maximum.

On a road trip to Montreal (in the Xterra, the very trip for which the photo above was taken and our first time out with our new-to-us trailer), we managed to bend the axle. Rookie mistake, possibly, but I still feel like it was poor engineering design to have such a flimsy axle. When we got home and I took the TT in for repairs, they said they could straighten out the existing axle. I said no thanks to that option and had them replace it with a 5000 lbs axle. No problems since.
Great idea to upgrade the axle for higher capacity..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518