towing an Astro van 50 miles with my PPV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madmanjustice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 Astro van that I need to move from my old house to my new house. It is currently not drivable but I thought it should not be too hard to tow it to the new house. So I looked at the Uhaul page to see about renting a tow dolly or a car carrier trailer, and when I put in all the details it comes back and tells me that the combination (Tahoe, trailer, Astro) is not recommended. I do have the factory hitch installed and also have the Tow/haul controls as well (no trailer braking though) and have only towed my utility trailer and my 12ft cargo trailer.

Should I be able to tow the Astro the 40-50 miles I need to? And what would be the better option? dolly or carrier? The Astro is drivable enough to get it onto a trailer.

Thanks

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 Astro van that I need to move from my old house to my new house. It is currently not drivable but I thought it should not be too hard to tow it to the new house. So I looked at the Uhaul page to see about renting a tow dolly or a car carrier trailer, and when I put in all the details it comes back and tells me that the combination (Tahoe, trailer, Astro) is not recommended. I do have the factory hitch installed and also have the Tow/haul controls as well (no trailer braking though) and have only towed my utility trailer and my 12ft cargo trailer.

Should I be able to tow the Astro the 40-50 miles I need to? And what would be the better option? dolly or carrier? The Astro is drivable enough to get it onto a trailer.

Thanks
You can tow it. The Astro is probably over their weight limits for their trailer soo... plan on towing a Kia and then change your mind and tow the Astro.

U-Haul trailers have surge brakes, so trailer brake controllers are not needed, just a 4-pin hook up for lights.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can tow it. The Astro is probably over their weight limits for their trailer soo... plan on towing a Kia and then change your mind and tow the Astro.

U-Haul trailers have surge brakes, so trailer brake controllers are not needed, just a 4-pin hook up for lights.
I agree, a U-Haul Tow Dolly is all you need. You will need to unhook the driveshaft (I think the Astro was RWD?). Take it easy when towing, use the tow mode on the end of the shift stalk.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, a U-Haul Tow Dolly is all you need. You will need to unhook the driveshaft (I think the Astro was RWD?). Take it easy when towing, use the tow mode on the end of the shift stalk.
They came RWD and AWD. But yep, he's got to disconnect the driveshaft from the differential yoke and duct tape or wire it up out of the way. If he pulls it out of the transmission and throws it in the truck, it will leak ATF.

OP
OP
madmanjustice

madmanjustice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would there be any reason I could not put it on the tow dolly backwards so I don't have tp futz with the drive shaft?

mftrnr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There should be no problem towing the weight, but I would always go with a trailer over a dolly if you can. I've definitely put things that heavy on a uhaul car hauler, Im surprised the website is giving you trouble with that configuration.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would there be any reason I could not put it on the tow dolly backwards so I don't have tp futz with the drive shaft?
I personally wouldn’t try it.

Discounnecting the drive shaft is not a big deal. Just unbolt it at the rear diff and wire it up in place so it stays put.