Towing a camper with a 2014 Yukon Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Anglia racer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The camper has a tongue weight of about 800#. Trailer weight is about 5500# loaded. I'm using a Reese Weight Distribution hitch.
I seems that the self leveling rear suspension fights with the hitch when I tension the bars.
Anyone have experience with this setup? TIA

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably confused about how to deal with the odd, instant shift of weight. I'll be interested in see what the resolution is.

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you loading the hitch?

The GMC manual mentions the following:
"If a weight distributing hitch is being used, it is recommended to allow the shocks to inflate, thereby leveling the vehicle prior to
adjusting the hitch."

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
I have a similar set up on my XL here is what I do and I have no problems
The only difference being that I dropped the chain type set up years ago for the Equal-i-zer Weight Distribution Hitch EQ37121ET. For me, this has proven to be a better set up and better sway control. I only mention it as my hook up description is slightly different.

• Back the truck up to aline the trailer hitch
  • Drop the trailer down on to the hitch until the leveling system kicks in
  • Once the system levels lock in the load bars with the trailer still supported by its jack.
    • This is the step where the no chain load bars are better IMO. If the load bar does not slide on easily then I lower or raise the trailer jack as needed and the XL Leveling system will either raise or lower accordingly. I have noticed that when I used the chains and the breaker bar I could sometimes get more leverage than I can with my new set up so I am sure that I was overdoing it at times.
  • Once load bars are locked in then take the trailer jack all the way up, the truck will settle again and then level up slightly
This work well for me and I do not have any issues on the road. One thing that I did add to my XL that made a difference in ride quality when towing were a set of these to replace the stock bumpstops in the rear. Super easy install as well.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/GMC/Yukon+XL/2012/TGMRYS4.html?vehicleID=20121013143

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah those timbren bumps are just a no brainer. That's one big reason why I went with the burb over something 'nicer.' It was going to be solely used as a haul vehicle, so I didnt care about autoride, or electronic air bags....all stuff to break. So I wanted simple and effective. The timbrens are just that, simple and effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick