tow/haul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe4life

Reaction score
2000 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3L, 4WD. Tow/haul randomly turns on and button does not work when I want it too. Sometimes stays on for days and kills my mileage. Is the switch going bad or an actuator in tranny?? Anyone else had this problem?

jetblast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sometimes the wiring in the the steering column starts to rub against things and can also break. It happened to my dad's 2003 GMC 2500.
All I did was split the steering column covers remove the shifter and the orange wire that goes to the tow haul button and repaired the wires.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, it seems these wires were installed stretched from the factory and is often the issue. Short story: I have a couple buddies that are Honda techs; we were on a road trip in one of the friend's 1500HD and his T/H button wouldn't turn on, when I told him it was probably the wire running through the shifter, they both laughed. Sure enough, it was a stretched wire in the shifter.

bikerglasses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I needed to repair this when I bought my Tahoe about 2 months ago... easy fix, I cut out the bad/stretched wiring and added about 3" of wire so it doesn't happen again. Pretty easy fix, definitely check this before buying new switch --saw them used in ebay for more than $55 ..fixed it myself for $0.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n