Tow Capacity on 2020 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kkenall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tow Capacity question- I’ve got a Winnebago Micro Minnie (dry weight is around 3500) and I’m purchasing a new tow vehicle. I do recognize a truck would be the best option but I’m going with a Tahoe. I had previously indicated to my salesperson that I wanted the max trailer package. I had a recent accident and my 2017 Tahoe is totaled so I need to purchase a replacement vehicle asap. The Tahoe I have decided on does not have the max trailer package. Tow capacity is 6400 and the vehicle w max tow package 8400. Do you guys think I should have a transmission cooler and brake controller installed before I leave the dealership-(I’m a single 50ish, smaller frame female and will be towing the trailer alone - for what it matters.) I will be using a weight distribution hitch and sway bar. TIA

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow Capacity question- I’ve got a Winnebago Micro Minnie (dry weight is around 3500) and I’m purchasing a new tow vehicle. I do recognize a truck would be the best option but I’m going with a Tahoe. I had previously indicated to my salesperson that I wanted the max trailer package. I had a recent accident and my 2017 Tahoe is totaled so I need to purchase a replacement vehicle asap. The Tahoe I have decided on does not have the max trailer package. Tow capacity is 6400 and the vehicle w max tow package 8400. Do you guys think I should have a transmission cooler and brake controller installed before I leave the dealership-(I’m a single 50ish, smaller frame female and will be towing the trailer alone - for what it matters.) TIA

Yes. Keep in mind a GM dealership might not install the transmission cooler but they do have GM Accessory controllers that they will wire up for you.

The transmission in both of your Tahoes has a thermostat on the side of it that keeps the temperatures very high and this shortens their life. GM recently came out with a lower temperature thermostat or you could have someone "flip the pill" and it will run even cooler. if you don't do either, the add-on cooler will be all but worthless.

Post up a photo of the new rig when you can and happy trails to you!

Rygrego

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will not find a better trans cooler than the Mishimoto cooler, not the cheapest but by far superior to all the rest. Install or have installed one of these with the updated trans fluid thermostat and I doubt you'll see much above 180 degrees towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt