Torsion to coilover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeri99

Reaction score
Adriver you are a saint...thank you for your advice. Looks like coilovers are the wiser choice..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adriver you are a saint...thank you for your advice. Looks like coilovers are the wiser choice..

They definitely are, (as with most things).. IF, they are in the budget.

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't give any input on going from torsion to coilovers but I did make the swap on a RCSB I am building. Drop spindles, Viking DA coilovers for the front, flip kit for the rear leaf springs, Caltracs, smooth body DA Vikings and the kit to relocate them behind the axle. EVERYONE I talked to before I ordered it thought it was the best money they had spent and guys are cutting 1.3 60' with the setup I just mentioned. My Silverado isn't being built to DD but as a weekend hellraiser and track toy. If I was to lower mine again I would do spindles DA coilovers, ditch the rear coils and bag the back with smooth bore DA shocks. On my Yukon I have spindles, adjusted keys, DJM rear hardware kit, 5305 coils, helper bags in the coils, Belltech shocks, and an adjustable panhard. I am very seriously considering getting larger front and rear sway bars as I do more research on them but if you are on the fence do it. I have yet to hear one person say one bad thing. And Richard aka Atomic is local to me and is as good as gold.

hardluck13

Reaction score
Atomic’s kit and customer service is by far the best in any business (especially customer service). Best change ever was ditching the the torsion bars and keys and went spindles with Coilovers. Think about new Tahoe suspension compared to torsion? What did GM do? Stick with clapped out torsion or go to a coilover set up? If you’re going to spend money on your suspension spend it on his kit. I went with his Viking spring and shock but I know some other guys have used other. No more bottoming out up front, drives and handles like a new car car (upgraded all bushings and sway bars too), fine tune front suspension, and stays in alignment.

Jeri99

Reaction score
Hardluck...thank you for the insight...I'm curious what setup did u have in the rear?

hardluck13

Reaction score
Hardluck...thank you for the insight...I'm curious what setup did u have in the rear?

Currently has Belltech springs and shocks but it’s getting free travel, with Tony’s 5-6” springs, DJM relocation and the Spohn adjustable panhard. Was waiting forever for the DJM kit but they just decided today to tell me they’re not gonna make it anymore (that’s why front was done before rear). Rear happens the 1st of July. Thing hardly gets driven has like 56k original miles. I keep it around cause it’s practically brand new with literally every option and I love NBS. I have my other new trucks, cars and old cars and motorcycles but like I said something about NBS I’ve always loved. Sorry, forgot I have sway bars for it too that have been sitting and go on when it goes into shop on the 1st.

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atomic says ditching the torsion bars and going with coilovers drops some significant weight off the front. I have plenty of other stuff to do to my Yukon before going coilovers.

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually worked on ditching the torsion bars today and installing the Viking DA coilovers. I had spindles and turned down torsion bars before with Belltech 5305 springs in the back. I put some helper bags in the rear coils today, kept the spindles, and put together the Viking coilovers. I will report tomorrow how it rides but everyone is extremely happy with their purchase.

Jeri99

Reaction score
I can't wait to hear your impression...how much would it cost me to get your exact set up?...my suspension is bone stock right now

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got Belltech spindles, DJM rear hardware, adjustable panhard bar, Belltech 5305 coils, helper bags, Richard Wayne's Viking coilover setup. First go around I ordered Belltech Street shocks, I forget the exact name but they are silver. I almost hate to admit but I probably have close to 2k in my entire setup. If you don't get the Viking coilovers get Bilstein HD shocks. I had Belltech spindles, lowering torsion keys, DJM rear hardware kit, Belltech 5305 coils and helper bags on my wife's Yukon XL and I was satisfied with how it rode. I have always wanted to build a fullsize version of a Trailblazer SS so I probably over spent on the suspension, when I upgrade my Trailblazer SS and RCSB Silverado alot of the parts will be put on my Yukon. My original goal was to run what my Trailblazer ran when it was a full bolt on truck but everyone I have talked to about spec the parts for me seem to think it will be quicker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shahid