Torsion to coilover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01DenaliHiker

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with these kits?

In the middle of a little surprise purchasing for my truck I came across a kit by Atomic Fab to convert the front to coilovers and lose the torsion bars.

I personally love the idea because I dislike torsion bars, of all makes, sizes, and shapes. Just want to know if it's even worth the money as far as ride goes, because it'll be my next project after I finish converting over to floor shift and finish fabbing up my center console if it's worth it.

https://atomicfabandperformance.com/product-category/cb/800-4wd/

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the next project on my 2005 Yukon Denali XL stock height. Most sources point to a yes on being worth it. Im doing it primarily for the comfort. Hitting potholes with torsion bars is miserable. A couple gents here have them and they will chime in. More installs over at PT.net but they tend to be based on pickups and not SUV's.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with these kits?

In the middle of a little surprise purchasing for my truck I came across a kit by Atomic Fab to convert the front to coilovers and lose the torsion bars.

I personally love the idea because I dislike torsion bars, of all makes, sizes, and shapes. Just want to know if it's even worth the money as far as ride goes, because it'll be my next project after I finish converting over to floor shift and finish fabbing up my center console if it's worth it.

https://atomicfabandperformance.com/product-category/cb/800-4wd/
Please post your setup. The biggest question seems to be shock length and spring weight. No denying they ride better. Been playing around with the combination of DJM drop arms for more room for shocks. I just don't want to be chasing a setup.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Atomic not sure how active he is over here, but hell sell you just mounts or entire setup.

Theres not much chasing he has a pretty good idea of what's needed... if you go it on your own then plan on getting mounts, setting ride height, measuring shock length at: ride height, compressed, extended. And then spring rates

Jeri99

Reaction score
What's the ballpark range of how much this conversion would cost?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
01DenaliHiker

01DenaliHiker

Reaction score
What's the ballpark range of how much this conversion would cost?

https://atomicfabandperformance.com/product/99-06-torsion-bar-coilover-package/

Around $1000 if you're DIY savvy.

I still haven't been able to justify the purchase. My Denali enjoys breaking random small things constantly. So I'm on the fence with selling once I rebuild my front end. Kit seems top notch though, saw a guy here local with the kit done and was super envious. Turned out my Denali was much faster, at the cost of my front end though. :challenge: Worth it.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much atomic is on here, but he is pretty active on performancetrucks.net. You should at least be able to search over there (for pickups), and get some good reviews too.

Jeri99

Reaction score
Has anyone here experienced both a traditional lowered control arm/lowering spring set up vs this conversion?...just to get an idea how much of better of a ride the conversion is

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here experienced both a traditional lowered control arm/lowering spring set up vs this conversion?...just to get an idea how much of better of a ride the conversion is

If you're comparing coilovers to a lowering kit/setup, the difference is in the ability to fine tune the setup, and to change it whenever you want. Lowering control arms, knuckles, blocks, shocks, drop kits, ETC are stationary... You do it, you hope you get it right (for you), but you are going to have to buy new parts if its not what you want.

Coilovers are an adjustable suspension for height, which should be paired with the right shocks for an adjustable firmness.
Drop it down if you know you are going to go over the tail of the dragon over the weekend.
Raise it up for winter, or even if you just know the weather is going bad.
Raise it up if you are going to tow, (and hopefully) stiffen it up.
Drop it down if you know you're not hitting potholes anywhere along your commute.

Depending on the coilover shocks you get, (if you're going this far with it, don't cheap out now), the shocks should have compression and rebound adjustability. Do you want your ride floaty smooth. Do you want it stiff and tight?

If your SUV is, and is staying lets say a 2nd vehicle for towing, and you got lucky with the right setup that works great for you, OR
If you are keeping it as a off road capable vehicle because your commute is on and off road, and that's all you do.. Then you probably don't need to spend the money.

If you: do that occasional tow, road trip, weekend blast around, "wow, I never thought someone could auto-cross that thing", want to fine tune that drop for the car meet, then these would be great because they give you easy to achieve options, but let you go back to that perfect setup for most of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9