1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Torsion keys and spacers on an '03 4x4 w/ZW7 suspension?

Discussion in 'Lifted Supension - Z71 & 4x4' started by kruzie96, Sep 16, 2020.

1. kruzie96

kruzie96 TYF Newbie

Name:
    Daniel
    I have '03 4x4 w/ZW7 suspension. I just replaced the nivomat rear shocks instead of going w/new coils and standard shocks. Now my son wants to put a torsion key/spacer kit on it. Has anyone added spacers in the rear with the nivomat shocks? any concerns with doing this? TIA :)

2. Fless

Fless Full Access Member

Name:
    Steve
    The OE springs that go with the Nivomats are softer (and weaker) than standard coils, since the Nivomats self-adjust for loads. There have been many complaints about the handling after replacing only the Nivomats, so you may want to consider doing the springs, too.

EDIT: From Rock Auto:

Capture.JPG

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Sam Harris likes this.
  3. Fless

Fless Full Access Member

Name:
    Steve
    It looks like I may have misunderstood your situation, Daniel. You replaced the Nivomats with aftermarket Nivomats, is that right?

4. Dutchman

Dutchman Member

Name:
    Lee
    I'm in the same situation. I have an '03 Tahoe with the ZW7 suspension (at least, that's what the RPO code says). I want to do a small lift/leveling with new keys and a little lift in the back. I was thinking about putting Z71 springs in the back instead of spacers and new Bilstein 5100s all around. Would that setup work to not only lift the rear a bit, but compensate for the removal of the Nivomat shocks?

Sam Harris likes this.
  5. Sam Harris

Sam Harris Full Access Member

Name:
    Sam
    Yes, if removing the Nivomats, the springs should also be replaced. The Z71 are an excellent choice and will give another 1” or so of ride height.

6. Dutchman

Dutchman Member

Name:
    Lee
    Perfect! And I believe the spring most people use is the MOOG 81069?
    I'm hoping that this will give the Tahoe more of a 'truck' ride than the smooth premium car-like ride. Call me old school, but I want my truck to ride like a truck. :driver:

Sam Harris likes this.
  7. Sam Harris

Name:
    Sam
    Correct. Those are the Z71 springs. Personally, I was planning to change to the Z71 spring and standard shock, but changed my mind in favor of keeping the nivomats. I’ll be replacing my front shocks with the Bilstein 5100, bit still need to do that.

8. Dutchman

Dutchman Member

Name:
    Lee
    What made you decide to keep the nivomats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam Harris likes this.
  9. Sam Harris

Name:
    Sam
    I just appreciate the way they work. It’s awesome to have self load leveling without any compressor, or other external components. Now, when they shit the bed and I have to replace them, we’ll see if I’m still willing to pay for them. Lol. I do need front shocks. I thought the rears needed replacement, but now I believe it’s really the front that are a little weak. We’ll see how she does with the 5100’s up front and go from there. It’s certainly more cost effective to swap to a regular shock and a Z71 (or standard) spring.