Torque converter recommendations 6l80e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now i have my TCC lockup disabled for all speeds except 5 and 6. ...turning off the TCC makes non tow mode much better.
Before it would lock mid throttle during the 1/2 shift.

I think BlackBear did this to mine, I only noticed lockup today in 5th and 6th and then only under certain situations and speeds.

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone has issues with their contact us form on their website, the guy i chatted with.
justin (at) ftiperformance.com

I actually emailed him last night asking about his converters.
Mainly went off that this is a tow vehicle.

The reply i got was that their converts start off @ a 2600 rpm stall.
And not really for towing because of that.

My thinking was the higher stall would be helpful for towing, especially with a 3 disc lockup clutch.
I was actually thinking a nice 3000 stall might be nice...

Any thoughts?

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think BlackBear did this to mine, I only noticed lockup today in 5th and 6th and then only under certain situations and speeds.

I havent drove the truck too far like this, but so far i really like the change.
Just that 1-2 shift where it would lockup really bogged the truck.

Using the tow button helped a bunch, but it's nice not having to use that unless i want engine braking and higher shift points.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this talk about stall got me lost. Hopefully OP made some progress on his journey.

For someone that wants boost, what TC would be recommended/price vs something better than stock that does exactly what stock does? What is the disadvantage going with beefier TC and not able to take advantage because you decided not to go boost? Will that affect driveability or just wasted $?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Factory ZL1/CTSV (part 24242552) 300mm converter is built like a tank, it would perform like stock or you could send it to Circle D and they can up the stall speed to ~2500rpm for you...I see one on eBay right now for $397

Does the flex plate need to be changed also or still use the stock flex plate and just three bolts?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't want a high stall for towing, too much heat. You don't want a smaller converter for towing either for the same reason, stick with 300mm.

Stock JMBX stalls at about 1600 rpms but this really depends on the power output of the vehicle. This converter will stall higher behind a 6.2 and higher still as power is increased.

I forget what the Sierra's stalls at and mine for that matter but remember that the Sierra's was higher. Will have to check them both again and write it down!

The poor man's way to check for stall is to stomp on the gas from idle and see what the converter flashes to on the tachometer.

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a circle D 300m unit on my 6l80.
double disk unit.
they no longer offer it, and now they have an even nicer triple disk converter in the same size.

mine was about 2200-2400rpm stall.
I'm probably right in the middle of that, closer to the 2400.

so far no complaints.

the new one offers a selective stall.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a circle D 300m unit on my 6l80.
double disk unit.
they no longer offer it, and now they have an even nicer triple disk converter in the same size.

mine was about 2200-2400rpm stall.
I'm probably right in the middle of that, closer to the 2400.

so far no complaints.

the new one offers a selective stall.
So with the Circle D unit did they recommend the stall or was it set for the 2 disc version?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts