Too cold for the liftgate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Double3

Reaction score
Wife got home from work the other morning and the liftgate wouldn't work. I'd hit the button and it made the noise like it was going to open then it just stopped. Later in the day I tried it and it worked fine so I'm thinking it was just too damn cold out. It was like -15 that morning so I'm guessing that was the problem.

Anyone else have this happen?

Its an 07 Tahoe.

OP
OP
Double3

Double3

Reaction score
It worked later in the day without doing anything different except it sat in the garage and it warmed up little outside.

When It wasn't working I was able to pull it open but it seemed like the shocks where not doing anything to lift it up. I think they may have just been too cold to open it?

Last edited:

steven johnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lift gate

Wife got home from work the other morning and the liftgate wouldn't work. I'd hit the button and it made the noise like it was going to open then it just stopped. Later in the day I tried it and it worked fine so I'm thinking it was just too damn cold out. It was like -15 that morning so I'm guessing that was the problem.

Anyone else have this happen?

Its an 07 Tahoe.

GM has a service notice (PIT3845C ) on this. -14 or colder it with not lift, its a normal design of the power liftgate system. the power liftgate will release manually open an close in cold weather. some early 2007 an 2008 (i have a 2008)

SBCT

Reaction score
I wonder if it actually senses the low temperature and disables itself to prevent some type of damage or if the electronics/mechanicals inside the motor just dont work when they are too cold? I'm only curious because -14 is such a precise temperature for them to use....

stss95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
mine does the same thing when it gets really cold out once it warms up a little it starts working again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammyb