Tonyrodz's Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedRadioFlyer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah those rods look fine. Though as long as you're that deep into the engine, and need a new cam, I would go with some new major internals from the block up. New larger cam, springs and rods to match, valves and seals, and def replace the lifters and trays w/ an LS7 set or better. If you stay pretty mild and don't do any head shaving you should be able to run those same 7.4 rods (i have before), but I would measure the length and preload and buy some hardened rods that are the correct length. I'm doing something similar this weekend to correct a lifter that bleeds down and is eating my cam on cold starts - make a repair and throw some fun parts in too. Just my .02!

Sucks about the bearings though, they can take a beating on these engines and look like crap when inspected but still perform great when new moving parts are installed. One just get bent/dinged badly?

OP
OP
Tonyrodz

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I assume you've rolled them accross an even, smooth surface to make sure none a bent to the point where it's not noticeable to the naked eye?
Mostly. I actually called Brian Tooley tech support and explained the situation about the cam--and the pushrods. He recommends reusing the old rods. Good enough for me. I'm going with the same exact cam specs, which is a stage 3 truck cam. Stage 4 will only get me around another 10 horses--I'm good. I also have new lifters and cages, chain, oil pump and other stuff that I don't remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT