To powdercoat or not to powdercoat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I have been contemplating buying some stock aluminum wheels and doing something similar to this. As we do some light offloading (it is a 2500 beastieburban...) I don't want a parking lot queen.

Any thoughts?79d728babd02f36ed9e88f9af5d4dd08.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Powder coat is the best if it’s done correctly. The shop I found here in Cali is really expensive but it’s prep work is immaculate. I offered to pay cash and that knocked the price down considerably. On my other cars, the keepers, I found that powder coating is still susceptible to environmental and petroleum fallout, just not as much as regular paint.

I discovered that a good prep job followed by a good, healthy coat of powder is good. After that I have them apply another coat of clear or matte powder to protect the important part you already invested in. That second coat enables you to wash off everything with soap and water. I figure I’ll get about 10 years out of the callipers done this way and more from the engine parts that aren’t next to the rims kicking crap at them every day.

The expense is offset by time. It’s like having a Teflon pan seal that allows a 100% back to new finish with soap and water. I hate cleaning rims and hate cleaning/painting callipers more. This is the cure keeping flat black flat and the calliper colour unfaded and gloss new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SWSS

SWSS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Powder coat is the best if it’s done correctly. The shop I found here in Cali is really expensive but it’s prep work is immaculate. I offered to pay cash and that knocked the price down considerably. On my other cars, the keepers, I found that powder coating is still susceptible to environmental and petroleum fallout, just not as much as regular paint.

I discovered that a good prep job followed by a good, healthy coat of powder is good. After that I have them apply another coat of clear or matte powder to protect the important part you already invested in. That second coat enables you to wash off everything with soap and water. I figure I’ll get about 10 years out of the callipers done this way and more from the engine parts that aren’t next to the rims kicking crap at them every day.

The expense is offset by time. It’s like having a Teflon pan seal that allows a 100% back to new finish with soap and water. I hate cleaning rims and hate cleaning/painting callipers more. This is the cure keeping flat black flat and the calliper colour unfaded and gloss new.

Thanks for the points to ponder. I really would just like black steelies but not having any luck finding them. I see these trims with tires on Ebay all the time, cheaper than just the tires...

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t had good luck with powder coating so far. It only lasted a couple months. But then again that was because it was my exhaust tip. So I’m willing to try again with other parts but maybe go to another shop and see if their work is better. Like he said above^ anything paint related, including powder coat, the prep work stages will make or break the finished product.

Jibee

Reaction score
petethepug nailed it!! Proper prep and application and powder coat can be indestructible....the thing is finding the shop that puts the extra effort in their work.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
They do make a 1200* temp powder coat that’s similar to jet/hot coat that I used on the tip of my exhaust on our other car

I haven’t had good luck with powder coating so far. It only lasted a couple months. But then again that was because it was my exhaust tip.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t had good luck with powder coating so far. It only lasted a couple months. But then again that was because it was my exhaust tip. So I’m willing to try again with other parts but maybe go to another shop and see if their work is better. Like he said above^ anything paint related, including powder coat, the prep work stages will make or break the finished product.
Anything exhaust should be ceramic coated for heat resistance. I’ve had headers done with ceramic and they hold up great.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything exhaust should be ceramic coated for heat resistance. I’ve had headers done with ceramic and they hold up great.
It was supposed to be ceramic coated but I guess he skipped out. Sad thing is his work was supposed to be “superb” as this is the powder coated that my friends that own the custom jeep shop uses for all the Jeep parts they get powder coated. So unfortunately it frustrates me that he didn’t go the extra mile for me especially since I told him I was referred to him. But oh well. Guess I’ll try again with someone else.

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the points to ponder. I really would just like black steelies but not having any luck finding them. I see these trims with tires on Ebay all the time, cheaper than just the tires...

Look for the transit wheels. Those look awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeskarS