To Performance "Chip" or not to "Chip"....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marc 2019 RST

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Loving my newly acquired '19 Tahoe Premiere RST.....was a huge Corvette guy (one from each decade) for the last 40 years, however the daily drivers have usu. been Ford trucks; jumped from Ford Expees/ Explos and into this machine a couple of weeks ago after terrible quality experience ib the last two of them and the realization that, with the exception of the '85 Vette, quality was pretty darned good.

So, did research this question on the site, but hoping to get Forum perspective here:

Can the "chip" ads be true? More of everything that matters for only $50......hard to imagine that there are not implications to these "plug/play" changes, and as well, the warranty sails right out of the dual exhaust the first moment you plug in the chip to the port and press the starter. Also, for another $50, what wouldn't all this simple performance improvement be stock?

Never thought about a chip for the 'Vettes since was not interested in tinkering. And, how much more do I really want beyond the 6.2 anyway?

How say this forum?

Thx!
Marc

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loving my newly acquired '19 Tahoe Premiere RST.....was a huge Corvette guy (one from each decade) for the last 40 years, however the daily drivers have usu. been Ford trucks; jumped from Ford Expees/ Explos and into this machine a couple of weeks ago after terrible quality experience ib the last two of them and the realization that, with the exception of the '85 Vette, quality was pretty darned good.

So, did research this question on the site, but hoping to get Forum perspective here:

Can the "chip" ads be true? More of everything that matters for only $50......hard to imagine that there are not implications to these "plug/play" changes, and as well, the warranty sails right out of the dual exhaust the first moment you plug in the chip to the port and press the starter. Also, for another $50, what wouldn't all this simple performance improvement be stock?

Never thought about a chip for the 'Vettes since was not interested in tinkering. And, how much more do I really want beyond the 6.2 anyway?

How say this forum?

Thx!
Marc

Hi Marc, for me, the best part of the tune (no chips like the old days) is in how the transmission performs now. That alone woke up the motor and makes for a more pleasant driving experience.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a tuner for $50. Post up exactly what product is being considered for more clear answers.

Tuning can be a wonderful thing. And TANSTAAFL is true too.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your referring to those obd2 plug in "chips" those are all a scam. im assuming that's what your talking about as even the old school chips you could swap weren't even 50 bucks. the only real performance software option is a full tune. either a custom dyno tune or the favored blackbear tuning as mentioned here across the forum regularly.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Marc. Former Vette owner myself , over a dozen through the years.

A good tune is healthy for the transmission as well as the engine also. A good tune is very well worth the price IMO. May I suggest that we have a vendor here Black Bear that is excellent with tunes.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blackbear for a tune or if you want to get involved in learning how to do it yourself you can go with an HP Tuners setup. There’s other options also- a local tuner who you can go take your vehicle to or other lesser know tuning suites like Diablo etc. But be aware all these options are closer to $500-600 and there’s nothing for $50 except scams.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How say this forum?

Thx!
Marc
I think you may be referring to some little mystery box (ebay/amazon/internet) that plugs into the maf or 02 sensors? if so then don't waste your money, yes that may (might not do a dam thing) work for a minute until the ecm learns to compensate for it then it's garbage, get a real tune done.
if you really want to go that route just order some .50 cent resistors and have at it because that is all that is inside that little box.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct...generally theystery box 50$ devices either fool TPS, or MAF / MAP even temp...all in the effort to add fueling.

There are far better options, even a canned tuner for the OBD side is a far better option.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think any tune can adjust the transmissions in the new trucks but I could be wrong.

I went with the Diablo Lew tune in my 19 6.2 and it made a huge difference. It was $600 I think but also worth it to me.

Tim

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my diablo has the ability to do the following...

TRANS TUNE ...Stock , Firm, Hard ( believe is how it was worded)
it can also user select raised up shift pressures ( that also aids in when or how much feel you have)

i currently run the firm tune, with most upshift pressures raised by 10%

this made a huge difference ion light to light driving...no longer in 4th at 25 mph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645