Tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these a good choice ? I’ve always ran Goodyear but before I buy them I’d like to ask here first

I’d rather buy them online than locally save a little money that way

Currently on truck is Bridgestone duelers

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate... HATE.. Goodyear. IMHO they have only EVER made one good tire.. And they dont make it anymore, AquaTread.
can you enlighten all of us as to why You have hate for goodyear tires ?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my fleet of trucks, we run about 7 million miles a year. We have tried every iteration of tire for longevity, wear, fuel mileage. Goodyear, Michelin, Hankook, Continental, Firestone, BFG, Bridgestone, Kuhmo, etc, to include different models inside each product line. We have had the most problems out of Goodyear, warranty issues, soft sidewalls, tread delamination (throwing a belt).

On my personal vehicles that I used to run GY on some 24+ years ago, I was always having a thrown belt, or flat spotted tires, on a tire I never locked the brakes on. I have not had a problem with a Michelin in over 24 years now. Got 79k miles, with not even a flat, out of the last set I had on my Envoy. On a Jeep Grand Cherokee Quadratrac I used to have, I could only get about 18k miles out of a set of Goodyears, or Falkens, and a few others. I was able to squeak out 44k miles on a set of Michelins. But they were beyond dead (2 tires were like racing slicks). Realistically, it was probly 40k, maybe 38k, when they should have been replaced.

Now this isnt to say the others dont have their share of problems. But on a scale, Goodyear is by far the worst.

We have the best luck on a bigger scope with Continentals for power units, and BFG for trailers. For mileage and wear, its Michelin. But Michelin has issues in the warranty area. They are under the grand illusion that they dont make a bad tire out of the mold/plant.

On some trucks we have found that they will wear a certain tire much better than others. We just had a truck in our shop that if it doesnt have Bridgestones, it will wear the tires out in half the time, and give a horrible ride.

I have found that cars/trucks are like women, if they dont like their shoes, they let everyone know! My Envoy loves Michelin's. My Aztek -Likes- Generals (ride is rough, but tire wear is good). My Mercury Montego loved Michelins. My Pontiac 6000 Loved Michelins (as long as the air suspension was working), and it also loved Kelly Springfield (if the air suspension wasnt working). My Lincoln Continental loved Goodyear Aquatread.... My Envoy HATED Falken. My Aztek HATED Goodyears. My Mercury HATED Firestones. My Pontiac 6000 HATED BFG. My Lincoln Continental HATED BFG.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience among multiple vehicle types and types of Goodyears concurs with @TollKeeper. Their street/performance tires have adequate grip, but that's likely due to their softer compound which means short tread life. The all-seasons, etc. have 'okay' grip, but still didn't meet the tread life rating.

Michelins are the default go-to for safest bet. With over half a million miles tested between a 2013 Express 2500 and 2016 Ford Transit 2500, I've been impressed by Hankook Dynapro HT. Although, these were a "commercial" tire and, IIRC, were 8-ply.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are these a good choice ? I’ve always ran Goodyear but before I buy them I’d like to ask here first

I’d rather buy them online than locally save a little money that way

Currently on truck is Bridgestone duelers
You have not told us what surfaces you drive on, or what the weather is in your geographic location, and these are important factors in selecting a tire. Please give us some additional information in this area, and we can move out of what NOT to buy, and give you some solid advice on what TO buy.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have not told us what surfaces you drive on, or what the weather is in your geographic location, and these are important factors in selecting a tire. Please give us some additional information in this area, and we can move out of what NOT to buy, and give you some solid advice on what TO buy.
It’s about goddamn time somebody mentions that ha ha anyways Southern California with temperatures between 45° through 110° in asphalt sometimes Sandy asphalt no dirt no snow and rain every 25 years

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s about goddamn time somebody mentions that ha ha anyways Southern California with temperatures between 45° through 110° in asphalt sometimes Sandy asphalt no dirt no snow and rain every 25 years
Then, I recommend Michelin Defender LTX tires. They are popular with folks on this Forum who drive primarily on asphalt.

sillyyankee

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Then, I recommend Michelin Defender LTX tires. They are popular with folks on this Forum who drive primarily on asphalt.
I need to replace my tires. Jospeh Garcia I see you are in NH. I am in Southern New England and travel to the Whites very often. We have comparable driving environments.
The only time I am "off road" is the rutted snowmobile trailer parking lot :).

How is the ride with the Defenders? Will I notice a smoother ride than my stock Energy Savers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter