Tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Imlow78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to x-ray for continental and I’ll just leave it at that. They all have issues. But I went with Hankook off Amazon when I put my 22’s on and they seem to ride well. Tread wear? Idk for they are new. They are the Hankook Ventus ST’s.

Shannon

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my fleet of trucks, we run about 7 million miles a year. We have tried every iteration of tire for longevity, wear, fuel mileage. Goodyear, Michelin, Hankook, Continental, Firestone, BFG, Bridgestone, Kuhmo, etc, to include different models inside each product line. We have had the most problems out of Goodyear, warranty issues, soft sidewalls, tread delamination (throwing a belt).

On my personal vehicles that I used to run GY on some 24+ years ago, I was always having a thrown belt, or flat spotted tires, on a tire I never locked the brakes on. I have not had a problem with a Michelin in over 24 years now. Got 79k miles, with not even a flat, out of the last set I had on my Envoy. On a Jeep Grand Cherokee Quadratrac I used to have, I could only get about 18k miles out of a set of Goodyears, or Falkens, and a few others. I was able to squeak out 44k miles on a set of Michelins. But they were beyond dead (2 tires were like racing slicks). Realistically, it was probly 40k, maybe 38k, when they should have been replaced.

Now this isnt to say the others dont have their share of problems. But on a scale, Goodyear is by far the worst.

We have the best luck on a bigger scope with Continentals for power units, and BFG for trailers. For mileage and wear, its Michelin. But Michelin has issues in the warranty area. They are under the grand illusion that they dont make a bad tire out of the mold/plant.

On some trucks we have found that they will wear a certain tire much better than others. We just had a truck in our shop that if it doesnt have Bridgestones, it will wear the tires out in half the time, and give a horrible ride.

I have found that cars/trucks are like women, if they dont like their shoes, they let everyone know! My Envoy loves Michelin's. My Aztek -Likes- Generals (ride is rough, but tire wear is good). My Mercury Montego loved Michelins. My Pontiac 6000 Loved Michelins (as long as the air suspension was working), and it also loved Kelly Springfield (if the air suspension wasnt working). My Lincoln Continental loved Goodyear Aquatread.... My Envoy HATED Falken. My Aztek HATED Goodyears. My Mercury HATED Firestones. My Pontiac 6000 HATED BFG. My Lincoln Continental HATED BFG.
I agree I have had the best tire experiences with Michelins. I’ve had quite a few different tire setups over the years on different rigs, but the tires I’ve liked the most have been Michelin’s especially on my Yukon xl.
It’s about goddamn time somebody mentions that ha ha anyways Southern California with temperatures between 45° through 110° in asphalt sometimes Sandy asphalt no dirt no snow and rain every 25 years
I am in Southern California as well. I haven’t not had the defender LTX tire though I ran their predecessor which was the LTX M/S2, which is basically the same as the defender, when i first put on 20s and they were very good tires even used. If your truck never sees snow you will likely be very happy with the defender LTX. I’ve heard lots of good things about them and that they do well even in snow. Only reason I haven’t switched over to them is because i live up in big bear and see decent amounts of snow for 4-5 months of the years, and I often travel to mammoth, tahoe, and now will probably be making a yearly trip up to Utah to see friends that may as well be family. And for those reasons I went with the Michelin LTX A/T2 tire. A tad bit beefier and more aggressive tread than the defender, but still quiet and smooth on pavement. I had picked up a set of them a few months into ownership of my Denali, when I had the stock 17inch wheels, dirt cheap from a tire shop cuz they had 500 miles on them and they were hands down my favorite tire for this rig. I’m on my second set after trying a different tire the last time around and still really love them.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my tires. Jospeh Garcia I see you are in NH. I am in Southern New England and travel to the Whites very often. We have comparable driving environments.
The only time I am "off road" is the rutted snowmobile trailer parking lot :).

How is the ride with the Defenders? Will I notice a smoother ride than my stock Energy Savers?
I really like the Defenders. They are quiet, have exceptionally long tread life, and they handle very well on wet and dry asphalt surfaces. There has not been one instance where these tires failed to get me to my destination in the NH winter. I would buy them again in an instant.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 16 a few yrs ago, I asked here and many recommended the Mich Defenders. I absolutely loved those tires. Still looked nearly new after 30k miles. I can’t wait until my factory crap wears down a bit more on my 19 to get the defenders again.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up buying the same tires I had on the truck when I bought it

Bridgestone dueler HL alenza
$1200 no tax they also filled the tires with nitrogen

I’m still on the fence about the whole nitrogen thing because that’s for aircraft tires because of the temperature change I don’t think that we drive fast enough in our trucks to really need nitrogen however they did it for free

Today we will see how it handles because the old tires were bald I was driving around with Mickey Thompson slicks lol8AE5A7C4-445D-4203-867D-5DBA79172917.jpeg

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got lucky because I called around yesterday and 10 different shops could only order 22s because they don’t keep them stocked however the lady that ordered these tires a few weeks ago she never showed up to get a mount it on her Tahoe and they were actually going to mail them back yesterday so it worked out in my favor

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a BMW 3 series sedan and I absolutely swear by nitrogen with that thing. My experience with the Nitro-Fill is that I run a much more consistent psi over the course of the year even with temp changes and such. This translates into a better balanced tire with better treadwear and a better ride. Of course all that analysis is at least 80% me just drinking the Nitro-Fill "kool-aid". Plus I'm a TPMS **** and I freak out anytime my tires are not within 1 or 2 psi of each other. My OCD strikes at weird times.

I haven't bothered to do nitrogen in the Esky tires yet but its on the radar for sure.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a BMW 3 series sedan and I absolutely swear by nitrogen with that thing. My experience with the Nitro-Fill is that I run a much more consistent psi over the course of the year even with temp changes and such. This translates into a better balanced tire with better treadwear and a better ride. Of course all that analysis is at least 80% me just drinking the Nitro-Fill "kool-aid". Plus I'm a TPMS **** and I freak out anytime my tires are not within 1 or 2 psi of each other. My OCD strikes at weird times.

I haven't bothered to do nitrogen in the Esky tires yet but its on the radar for sure.
Actually right now my PSi is kind of not 100% even all the way around and it drives me nuts I’m hoping because they’re new and all that that it will level out but check this out

Attachments

• F98E9488-401C-4B61-917F-F9558AB2E0D9.jpeg
    F98E9488-401C-4B61-917F-F9558AB2E0D9.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 3

keg97

Reaction score
Too late but NOT a fan of the Bridgestones. They end up like bricks and wear poorly. I've been very happy with the Defenders. 30K/1 year later and they look great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts