Tire suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GreenGiant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a new to me 2004 Tahoe LT with a 3" body lift and 3" suspension lift. I am looking for tires for it. I have access to 16", 17" and 18" wheels but can't seem to decide on a size or tire. I was thinking 33/12.5r18 but not sure if they will be best. Also, will the tpms work on bigger tires and the lift?

Myfirstz71

Reaction score
I have a new to me 2004 Tahoe LT with a 3" body lift and 3" suspension lift. I am looking for tires for it. I have access to 16", 17" and 18" wheels but can't seem to decide on a size or tire. I was thinking 33/12.5r18 but not sure if they will be best. Also, will the tpms work on bigger tires and the lift?
I have a 2011 z71. It came with a level lift on front and small spring spacer in rear, with 285/70/18 (33’s essentially). The TPMS work fine.

I’ve read in some discussions about 16 rims having clearance issues between brake calipers, rim, and I think lower control arm during articulation.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Can you provide some additional information regarding what uses your truck will be doing? highway, light off-roading, heavy off-roading, type of winters (if applicable), etc.

OP
OP
GreenGiant

GreenGiant

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Can you provide some additional information regarding what uses your truck will be doing? highway, light off-roading, heavy off-roading, type of winters (if applicable), etc.
Hello,

Thanks!
I will attach a picture of my truck. Mostly the truck will be used on pavement, some highway use. But I do want the ability to go off-road, go in the mud or drive through fields without getting stuck. We have a very muddy area when warm and a lot of snow when cold (2+ feet normally). Our driveway and many others turn into mud pit during spring, fall and anytime there is rain (3+ inches of mud) and we find ourselves driving through fields and other areas often to access part of our land. Currently we have always relied on my dad's Yukon xl to go anywhere on the property other than the driveway as none of our other vehicles could reach them.

IMG_20220228_111141~2.jpg
IMG_20220228_090837.jpg

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks!
I will attach a picture of my truck. Mostly the truck will be used on pavement, some highway use. But I do want the ability to go off-road, go in the mud or drive through fields without getting stuck. We have a very muddy area when warm and a lot of snow when cold (2+ feet normally). Our driveway and many others turn into mud pit during spring, fall and anytime there is rain (3+ inches of mud) and we find ourselves driving through fields and other areas often to access part of our land. Currently we have always relied on my dad's Yukon xl to go anywhere on the property other than the driveway as none of our other vehicles could reach them.

View attachment 364766
View attachment 364767

Thank you for the great description. Much appreciated.

I do not go off-road, so I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that have similar local conditions will chime in.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sixteen inch tires are becoming obsolete, eighteen inch tires are usually more expensive than 17s. You could run some BFG KO2s 34 x 10.5 x 17, the 12.5 wide tire is going to kill gas mileage and not be greatest in mud. 11.5" would be better and of course, less stressful on your drivetrain.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 6" of lift you ought to be able to slam 35s under that thing *if* you wanted to. 285/75r18s are a 35x11.50. That's what I run on my Silverado.

If you want 33s, I am a huge fan of 285/75r16s. 33x11s. I run these on almost all my vehicles, including my two off road rigs. Very common and they are a great in-between size between street tire and off road tire.

Skinnier tires are generally better in every terrain except sand where floatation is necessary. For mud, snow, rain, etc, a narrower tire allows better traction because they sink thru the soft stuff down to hard pack.

Have you settled on a tread style and brand yet? I have run a lot of tires. I am a huge fan of Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws for a solid all terrain choice. Awesome tread life and great traction in everything I've thrown at them including mud (within reason, of course. Still an all terrain.) Very good in the snow especially. I've owned 3 sets now.

For a more aggressive tire, I have really liked the Dick Cepek Trail Country EXPs. Still a smoother ride and quieter than a mud tire, but more aggressive than an AT. Good hybrid.

For outright mud tires, there are a lot of options. I generally go with what's cheap that I like the look of. Making sure they have good siping is important for the rain and snow. Remember, in the snow you actually prefer the tires to pack in for better traction. If you deal with a lot of snow, mud tires are not your #1 option.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972