Tire size question. Help desperately needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Mama

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife's 2018 Tahoe currently rides on the stock 285/45/22's. Would really like to get a little more sidewall because (IMO) it should ride a lot better considering it has the magnetic shocks.

Trying to determine if there would be a significant improvement by going either 305/45/22 or 285/50/22 and if there would be any rubbing issues. Not really interested in a leveling kit or lift so suspension would remain stock.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it applies to the 2018, but there have been programming changes made for the suspension controller that could soften it a little. It'd be worth looking in to if you haven't already. Or the shocks could be defective and locked up- that's happened more than once. Once the dealer plugs in, they might be able to read info from the shocks and determine if there is a failure.

As far as the tires, out of the two sizes you mentioned:

305/45/22 would give you about .4" more sidewall, but a wider tread and likely heavier overall tire. It'd also be about .7" taller. That ~1/2" taller sidewall isn't enough to make any appreciable difference in ride quality based on the height factor alone. It's even less of a benefit when you factor in the other cons: Increased rotating mass, increased drag from the wider tread, taller tire skewing your speedometer and the taller and wider overall dimensions possibly causing clearance issues.

285/50/22 has a hair more sidewall than the 305/45 at .6" but is more than an inch taller overall. Still not enough increase in sidewall to feel and it'd skew your speedometer even more than the 305/45. Although it's the same width as stock, clearance is still an issue due to the height.

If you can stomach the "downgrade", 20s with 275/55 tires would be the most increase in sidewall while still maintaining a decent size of wheel. Otherwise, I'd focus more on the tires. If your Tahoe has the stock tires, there's a good chance they're the Bridgestone Dueler. These are widely known to be a stiff riding tire and have certainly earned their "Brickstone" nickname.

I recently switched from my stock 20s with Goodyear Eagle LS-2 to factory Tahoe take-off 22s with the Brickstones. What a huge drop in ride quality!

You're gonna pay for them, but it's been reported everywhere that Michelin makes some of the best riding and best functioning tires in the stock 20" and 22" sizes for these rigs.

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't know if it applies to the 2018, but there have been programming changes made for the suspension controller that could soften it a little. It'd be worth looking in to if you haven't already. Or the shocks could be defective and locked up- that's happened more than once. Once the dealer plugs in, they might be able to read info from the shocks and determine if there is a failure.

As far as the tires, out of the two sizes you mentioned:

305/45/22 would give you about .4" more sidewall, but a wider tread and likely heavier overall tire. It'd also be about .7" taller. That ~1/2" taller sidewall isn't enough to make any appreciable difference in ride quality based on the height factor alone. It's even less of a benefit when you factor in the other cons: Increased rotating mass, increased drag from the wider tread, taller tire skewing your speedometer and the taller and wider overall dimensions possibly causing clearance issues.

285/50/22 has a hair more sidewall than the 305/45 at .6" but is more than an inch taller overall. Still not enough increase in sidewall to feel and it'd skew your speedometer even more than the 305/45. Although it's the same width as stock, clearance is still an issue due to the height.

If you can stomach the "downgrade", 20s with 275/55 tires would be the most increase in sidewall while still maintaining a decent size of wheel. Otherwise, I'd focus more on the tires. If your Tahoe has the stock tires, there's a good chance they're the Bridgestone Dueler. These are widely known to be a stiff riding tire and have certainly earned their "Brickstone" nickname.

I recently switched from my stock 20s with Goodyear Eagle LS-2 to factory Tahoe take-off 22s with the Brickstones. What a huge drop in ride quality!

You're gonna pay for them, but it's been reported everywhere that Michelin makes some of the best riding and best functioning tires in the stock 20" and 22" sizes for these rigs.

Thanks very much for the info. I figured that going to 20's would be the best option but my wife loves the look of the 22's so I think we're going to stick with them. I can't even imagine how crappy the ride is on 24's.

I hadn't heard that about the Bridgestone's potentially exacerbating the stiff ride and I'll have to look into that. I don't mind paying a little more for Michelin's. They make a great tire and they're on sale at Costco right now through the end of March.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the info. I figured that going to 20's would be the best option but my wife loves the look of the 22's so I think we're going to stick with them. I can't even imagine how crappy the ride is on 24's.

I hadn't heard that about the Bridgestone's potentially exacerbating the stiff ride and I'll have to look into that. I don't mind paying a little more for Michelin's. They make a great tire and they're on sale at Costco right now through the end of March.

Best of luck with whichever route you take and please post back with your findings!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of folks here in this Forum like the ride of the Michelin Defenders.

Tire Rack carries the 285/45x22 Michelin Defender tire at $264 each. You may be able to do better elsewhere, price-wise...

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lots of folks here in this Forum like the ride of the Michelin Defenders.

Tire Rack carries the 285/45x22 Michelin Defender tire at $264 each. You may be able to do better elsewhere, price-wise...

Thanks. I appreciate the information.
Costco has the Defenders for $263 with $110 rebate with installation so thinking we’ll go that route.

Fingers crossed that they improve the ride a little. The roads around us are terrible (clay ground with asphalt) so we need all the help we can get.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Costco has the Defenders for $263 with $110 rebate with installation so thinking we’ll go that route.

Fingers crossed that they improve the ride a little. The roads around us are terrible (clay ground with asphalt) so we need all the help we can get.
Michelin Defenders or Premier's will definitely improve the ride but my (non-scientific) observations are that the Bridgestone tires have better snow traction. I'd also encourage a trip to your dealer and request the 2019 magnetic ride control software update.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'd also add that my 2019 Denali with 22" Bridgestone tires rides better than my old 2016 Denali with 20" Michelin Defenders. I credit the software changes.

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Michelin Defenders or Premier's will definitely improve the ride but my (non-scientific) observations are that the Bridgestone tires have better snow traction. I'd also encourage a trip to your dealer and request the 2019 magnetic ride control software update.
Thanks for the info. Live in Dallas so snow isn’t an issue. Just occasional torrential downpours.

The truck just came back from the dealership after a frozen lifter thrashed the cam shaft. I’d suspect they would’ve detected any faults with the suspension when they hooked it up to the computer but are you saying there’s a suspension update that I could request? I’ll definitely have to look into that.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d suspect they would’ve detected any faults with the suspension when they hooked it up to the computer

Don't expect it. The motor problem likely caused them to focus all of their attention just on that. Bring this up later or after the motor problem is solved. Seems more and more folks these days just cannot process information and follow through with multiple assignments as in times past. Law of Entropy I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157