Tire Feathering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cha0s13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what causes tire feathering (jagged edges on outer pert of tires)? I have noticed my ride getting a little rougher over the last week. I looked at my tires and the rear tires are nice and smooth but the front tires are very jagged on the outer part of the tires. 2016 Chevy tahoe with only 3000 miles. Oem 20" Continental tires.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
If it's only on the outer edge the alignment is out. If the wear pattern is on the inner and outer edge then the tire is under inflated. Check your tire pressure and if it's correct (according the specs on the drivers door jamb or owners manual) then have the dealer check the alignment.
A bad tire or tires is also a possibility but that's another set of symptoms. My money would be on a mechanical condition like alignment or inflation.

OP
OP
Cha0s13

Cha0s13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires are at 35 Lbs. I dont notice the car pulling to the left or right at all. Guess ill take it in to see what they say. Ride quality is definitely starting to be affected by this.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Hopefully it will easily be corrected by an alignment and they will do it as a courtesy since you just got it from them. Make sure that they print out the before and after specs.
Alignment being out of specs won't necessarily make the vehicle pull in all cases but it will sure as heck put some uneven wear on a tire. It can most definitely affect the ride quality. Hitting a curb or pot hole or hipster can also easily knock things out of specs. Make sure that there's no witness marks on the tires, rims or elsewhere to tell a story. If you have a defective or busted a shock the wear pattern would be more like every other block of tread on the tire would be cupped or uneven. Feathering on the edges is usually just a simple adjustment though. Have them rotate the tires while it's in there. Lack of rotation can also put the feathering on the tires. 3000 miles is about at the typically recommended interval for rotation. However, all tires on all vehicles act differently. Your mileage may vary.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually if it feathers it is caused by Toe. Usually a little too much toe-in from the factory (expecting parts to wear over time).

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best case scenario, alignment... Worst case scenario is tie rod, wheel bearing.

If you have a cupping, it could be damper but unlikely...

WYO-HD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say camber is set to far +. The outward or inward tilt of a wheel, called positive when the top tilts outward and negative when it tilts inward, measured as the angle, in degrees, between the vertical and a plane through the circumference of the tire. Basically, your front tires look like they are sticking out more on the top vs. the bottom. Kinda like a V. Most modern late model vehicles are set to 1-2 degrees negative camber or an up side down V...typically not visible to the naked eye.

I just had an alignment after my lift went on 1000 miles ago and my front tires appear out further on top (+camber) than bottom. I also have the feathering on the outer edge of the front tires. Some is normal as the front tires turn while the rears stay stationary. But what I've seen on mine is more than normal for 1000 miles...

I believe, since it was just aligned and tracks straight, it is still within oem spec. Many times the factory specs, regarding camber, caster and toe-in are exaggerated to help with over/under steer. They try and put it in the middle for your average driver to aid in their ability to control the vehicle in safe manner.

I'm not an alignment tech or expert by any means, just stating what I've learned and been told by others more experienced in this subject.

Here's a pic and it shows my front tire appearing to be +1 to 1.5 camber, or slightly out compared to rear.
Yukon side.jpg

Cheers,