Tip: Replacing front turn signal bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jem556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When one or both front turn signal bulbs burn out on a 2015-20 Tahoe and need replacing (especially the driver side), do yourself a favor and just trade the poorly designed piece of crap in on a Toyota…you can thank me later.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not as simple as on other vehicles, but once you learn what needs to be loosened to access the back of the light housing, the process is fairly straightforward. Yes, more complicated than on a Toyota, but many maintenance procedures on the Toyota are harder or more complicated than on a GM truck. There is a trade-off.

OP
OP
jem556

jem556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not as simple as on other vehicles, but once you learn what needs to be loosened to access the back of the light housing, the process is fairly straightforward. Yes, more complicated than on a Toyota, but many maintenance procedures on the Toyota are harder or more complicated than on a GM truck. There is a trade-off.
I knew what was in the way and tried to remove the tray and washer reservoir blocking access but it was impossible from the engine compartment (maybe if on a lift?). Even with all accessible bolts removed and said items loosened, I could not get my average size hand in a position to remove the bulb retainer. I will have to fabricate a special tool to reach and remove the bulb…until I get time for that, I’ll just continue on with hyper blinking and my utter disdain for GM ‘designers’…

OP
OP
jem556

jem556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I had watched that video and others just in case I was missing some trick…but evidently that guy has smaller hands than me. Even if I could squeeze in and loosen the retainer (drivers side), I have no confidence that I could hold on and keep if from falling into some black hole of the lower engine compartment or get the replacement bulb secured back in place without the same thing happening. Also the passenger side while also extremely annoying having to remove the air box, is at least possible…the drivers side is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep, I had watched that video and others just in case I was missing some trick…but evidently that guy has smaller hands than me. Even if I could squeeze in and loosen the retainer (drivers side), I have no confidence that I could hold on and keep if from falling into some black hole of the lower engine compartment or get the replacement bulb secured back in place without the same thing happening. Also the passenger side while also extremely annoying having to remove the air box, is at least possible…the drivers side is just ridiculous.
I agree. Does not look easy to me at all. I do love my 2005 Z71 more and more every single day.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667