Time to change Ball Joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeLTZ2012

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I need to change out lower ball joints at 150k on my 2012 LTZ. I have narrowed it down to either Moog, or ACDelco Professional series. Amazon has best prices from what I see.
I plan to change the upper control arm assembly while I have it apart. Anything else to change while in there?
Does anyone know who manufactures the ball joints/control arms for our trucks for ACDelco?

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Why would you not change the lower arm assemblies instead of the ball joint itself? Would also be a great time for stabilizer bar link kits. How old are the shocks?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend replacing the entire arm assembly so you (A) don't have to have the ball joints pressed out and in and (B) will have new bushings. You may end up paying a little more overall for a complete arm assembly, but it's quite common that it's actually cheaper than having the joints and bushings replaced in the original arms. Even if you had a press and did it yourself, the extra cost is surely worth the hassle and time saved.

I scored some ACDelco Professional arms (45D2472 and 45D2471) from eBay about a year ago. Got both arms delivered for $62- much less than the normal cost of just one arm without the shipping. The ACDelco Professional line, at least the ones I got, are Moog. They even have the same part numbers on the bags. This same applies to many suspension parts for these rigs. Avoid ACDelco Advantage- that's cheapest of the cheap. What came on your truck originally is just ACDelco (no special "Professional" or "Advantage" lineage) and, if you go back with this, they should last for just as long. It's questionable if Moog or any other aftermarket brand will or won't last as long or longer.

Last edited:

Glisella

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I
I need to change out lower ball joints at 150k on my 2012 LTZ. I have narrowed it down to either Moog, or ACDelco Professional series. Amazon has best prices from what I see.
I plan to change the upper control arm assembly while I have it apart. Anything else to change while in there?
Does anyone know who manufactures the ball joints/control arms for our trucks for ACDelco?

Just did my upper CA, I'd purchase a couple extra bolts that hold them in. They're like $3 on Rock Auto and $6 at Auto parts store but two of my four the nut broke clean off. Can always return if you don't need them.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to have two replaced before 80,000 miles. Mechanic suggested and used Moog on the assumption that we were keeping the truck for a long time.
What happened to grease fittings GM?

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I

Just did my upper CA, I'd purchase a couple extra bolts that hold them in. They're like $3 on Rock Auto and $6 at Auto parts store but two of my four the nut broke clean off. Can always return if you don't need them.
Dont forget some extra cams and pins too.

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used ac Delco replacement control arms... They were fine. But I ended up replacing those joints and went to the mevotech ttx HD joints both top and bottom. They have worked out nicely and have grease fittings. Super reasonably priced at rock auto.

Royalwapiti

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think I will have my 2013 for more than a couple years. I usually put Moog suspension parts on, but am confused. My question is: What grade of control arms do you buy? I went to Rock Auto and they have Economy, Daily Driver, Premium and Heavy Duty Mevotech.

How will I know if I have the aluminum arms? Will I notice the aluminum easily?

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TahoeLTZ2012

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I decided to go with ACDelco Professional series ball joints and upper arms. The price on Amazon was the best around. Still looking for upper arm bolts just in case, but living in the third world country of Canada nobody but the dealer seems to carry them.:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011