Thoughts on these wires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 w/ ~218,000 miles.

I'm replacing my aftermarket receiver with an upgrade and spent some time today pulling out the previously installed aftermarket harnesses. It was a bit of a mess. Got everything out, leaving only the original GM radio and OnStar harnesses. But, I found this duo of wires connected to the old aftermarket harness with a couple of spade connectors. Three wires (green, orange, and purple) coming up from somewhere in the dash. The purple was taped off and not connected to anything, the orange one was connected to the aftermarket radio harness (Pioneer AppRadio 4), and the green was connected to a PAC steering wheel control box. Pictures below.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on why the installer would have need to do this and if it's going to complicate things when I go to install the new stuff - as in, will I need to get these wires hooked up again if a previous installer has done any permanent alterations to the factory wiring from the main harness.

Appreciate any help anyone might provide!

IMG_6092.jpg IMG_6093.jpg IMG_6094.jpg

2010gmcyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the orange wire, but I believe the Purple is usually a power hookup for a backup cam, and the green goes to the parking brake. Can you see where they go?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Green could also be the speed sensor which is usually taped from the green wire behind the instrument cluster, but really your just going to have to follow them back to there source since they are single wires should be very easy.

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC, for pioneer radios, the purple wire is most likely the reverse trigger wire. The orange for the dimmer circuit and the green for parking brake. Should be able to pull out the headlight switch to double check that one. The other two may be behind the drivers kick panel or in the convenience center?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Z71Tahoe2004

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
orange on a head unit is illumination. What was that orange pictured above, connected to?

Orange one was connected to the aftermarket radio power plug (with its other wires). I pulled the install manual for the AppRadio and it looks like orange is for illum - so yes - this makes sense.

OP
OP
Z71Tahoe2004

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
Green could also be the speed sensor which is usually taped from the green wire behind the instrument cluster, but really your just going to have to follow them back to there source since they are single wires should be very easy.

Thanks! The green one looked like it was running to the PAC steering wheel controls, so I'll go ahead and trace it back to the source.

OP
OP
Z71Tahoe2004

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
IIRC, for pioneer radios, the purple wire is most likely the reverse trigger wire. The orange for the dimmer circuit and the green for parking brake. Should be able to pull out the headlight switch to double check that one. The other two may be behind the drivers kick panel or in the convenience center?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes - purple on Pioneers looks like it's for a back-up camera, but the purple one in question was coming from inside the dash and was not connected to anything on the radio. The installer just tied it off and taped it to the bundle with the orange and green. Also - the 04 didn't come with a back-up cam as OEM on any model. Guess I'll need to follow it down its abbit hole. Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
Z71Tahoe2004

Z71Tahoe2004

Reaction score
So if orange is illum and green is the speed sensor, I wonder if the fact that these two may have, for some reason, been spliced in from elsewhere in the vehicle will make the install of the new radio more complicated. The new radio harness (Kenwood) and the PAC controller all have wires that should account for speed sensor and illum without having to rely on bringing them in from elsewhere in the dash, as the previous installer appeared to have done. May have to hook it up and see what doesn't work...

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Yes - purple on Pioneers looks like it's for a back-up camera, but the purple one in question was coming from inside the dash and was not connected to anything on the radio. The installer just tied it off and taped it to the bundle with the orange and green. Also - the 04 didn't come with a back-up cam as OEM on any model. Guess I'll need to follow it down its abbit hole. Thanks for the reply!
The purple is for an after market camera. And usually the green wire is hooked into the reverse lights to trigger the camera on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu