Thoughts on cheap oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want to go down a rabbit hole, go visit Bob Is The Oil Guy

Crazy-technical forum full of oil geeks.

Bottom line - Kirkland (Costco), Super Tech (Walmart) and Amazon Basics full synthetics are all good to go.

Whenever my local Walmart has the 5w30 jugs in stock, I neckbeard at least 4 or 5.

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If my motor rattles on start up it's not good enough for my trucks. This is why ACDelco oil is used in ours.

Most of the oils out there have viscosity numbers that are quite low. ACDelco, the old Shell Rotella Gas Truck and RedLine have the highest numbers.
I only heard the rattling on the first start after the oil change but maybe it was one of my kids scooter or something. Since the oil change I've remote started with my head in the wheel well both cold and hot starts and no more sounds of concern, just the first time after changing the oil.

Looks like you can get quite a bit of kirkland oil for $75 so I might go that route in the future if its all good

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 99 is just about to turn over 300K - Been a great cheap car for her. Was just concerned with starting oil consumption if I went to synth.
As far as I know it's ok to move from conventional to full synthetic but you don't want to go the other way around. I have a buddy with a 67 impala and he is adamant about strictly using "dinosaur juice" (conventional) oil in the motor.

waveryd

Reaction score
I had a 1996 Chevy Suburban that I bought in 1998 with very low mileage. I serviced the vehicle myself and owned it for 20 years. I traded it to a friend of mine with 600,000 miles on it and the engine runs perfectly and uses/leaks less than a quart of oil in 4000 mi. That vehicle never had anything in it except Walmart oil and Walmart oil filters. There are two basic types of oil: clean oil and dirty oil. If you change it frequently clean oil, regardless of brand, is excellent insurance for longevity.

the 18th letter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 1996 Chevy Suburban that I bought in 1998 with very low mileage. I serviced the vehicle myself and owned it for 20 years. I traded it to a friend of mine with 600,000 miles on it and the engine runs perfectly and uses/leaks less than a quart of oil in 4000 mi. That vehicle never had anything in it except Walmart oil and Walmart oil filters. There are two basic types of oil: clean oil and dirty oil. If you change it frequently clean oil, regardless of brand, is excellent insurance for longevity.
My 99 with 153k has used primarily (occasionally I’ll catch a sale on a brand name that’s better than WM prices) Walmart oil with no issues. Doing the 1st change in the 15 this week and will go with Walmart again. I wonder the oil brands make watered down versions of their own product for Walmart like Tide does?

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prompted by a really expensive oil change on my fiancés car I decided to try and see how cheap of an oil change I could get for my Tahoe by doing it myself.

I used 6 quarts of Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic 5w-30 dexos oil with an AcDelco PF63 oil filter. Total was under $40 I think.

The only concern I had was on the first startup I think I had some slight knocking while oil pressure was building, I did prefill the oil filter. Is that normal?

Other than that I haven't had any issues, but it has me wondering is running cheap oil bad? Are there any concerns that I should have? My thought process is cheap clean oil is better than old oil.
Idk my dealer has coupons for 60$ for 6 quarts synthetic and tire rotation. I'd check your dealer's website for coupons. Used to change the oil in all my cars until i found most of the time it's cheaper for them to do it with the coupons.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prompted by a really expensive oil change on my fiancés car I decided to try and see how cheap of an oil change I could get for my Tahoe by doing it myself.

I used 6 quarts of Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic 5w-30 dexos oil with an AcDelco PF63 oil filter. Total was under $40 I think.

The only concern I had was on the first startup I think I had some slight knocking while oil pressure was building, I did prefill the oil filter. Is that normal?

Other than that I haven't had any issues, but it has me wondering is running cheap oil bad? Are there any concerns that I should have? My thought process is cheap clean oil is better than old oil.
I had images of this fine grade SA stuff. Of course you gotta be old as the rocks to remember it.

sequoia oil.jpg

OP
OP
Dustin Jackson

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update for you guys.

The Walmart oil was great, I got about 4 thousand miles in it and I could have run it a lot longer.

I got a good deal on a bunch of Costco Kirkland oil and I am currently running that.

I think as long as the cheap oil is Dexos certified you’ll be good to go and make sure to use a good oil filter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout