Those Who Moved From an '07-14 to '15+ generation... How Was It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the box and 3rd row seat can come out. We put them in. Defeats the purpose of having the 3rd row of seating, though :) I need more space for groceries, than just removing the box allows. I put the 3rd row of seats down for groceries. It's different. I'll hopefully adjust to it. My 98' Yukon didn't have a 3rd row of seats. So, plenty of cargo room. My 99' Suburban with 3rd row of seats, had an extra two feet of cargo room. As far as visibility, I have been spoiled with my last two cars. Most anything else I've ridden in through the years, I've noticed the limitation in visibility (all around the vehicle) compared to mine. It's very different. I've had about 20 years in the others, it's going to take some time :) mine does not have power pedals or a steering wheel that moves forward. We drove some that did. As this is a police model, it doesn't. The steering wheel can tilt up and down like any older car, but that is all.
Yep, I will never need extra room for groceries in my Yukon XL. I pulled the 3rd row on my 2010 Tahoe the day I bought it and never put them back in.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I will never need extra room for groceries in my Yukon XL. I pulled the 3rd row on my 2010 Tahoe the day I bought it and never put them back in.
I left the one side in just in case but there is so much room back there

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say, if you’re trading a GMT-900 Chevy or GMC SLT, there is probably much more to like about the K2 compared to coming from a Yukon Denali and especially an Escalade. I couldn’t own a 900 Chevy because the 5.3L is very underpowered, all the cheap rubber interior parts, and how noisy they are. And before anyone says it, yes, they are different. The Denali and Escalade have an acoustical insulation package (there’s a RPO code for it) that makes a massive difference and the later Escalades have dual-pane front windows that make a little more difference as long as all the window appliqués aren’t cracked letting air around them.
I never felt my 2010 Tahoe was very underpowered. It performed just fine 99.9% of the time. My 1994 Toyota 4x4 pickup was underpowered.......

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m used to power. My cammed 08 Escalade is probably one of the slower vehicles I’ve owned, I want to supercharge it. Regardless, when we’re comparing the 900 or the newer generations that make more power and have more gears to keep the engine in the powerband better, it is definitely underpowered. The 4 speed was also terrible, almost always had it out of the powerband.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wrote a review on what I have noticed.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...a-k2-comparison-in-driving-and-quirks.129349/

The driving experience of the K2 is what has me hooked right now, the seats grab you better, the chassis hits the corners better. MRC is greatly improved. Now I know I could revisit the NNBS and put bigger sway bars in, updated suspension mods, brakes, and do some seat work and get the same experience for a fraction of the cost. But the looks also on the Esky I bought also sold me. The 6.2 transmissions with 8 or 10 speeds will broaden your horizon's coming from the 6 speed. I personally like the 6 speed with the 3.42 gear, But the added gears on the k2 platform really give it some get up and go for stock vehicles.

I fight a battle in my head every day of what I want, 1 day its a basic square suburban 4x4, next its a NNBS, and then its like enjoy where I have finally gotten to with the grind.

I miss my NNBS some days mainly due to cargo room, the fold flat floor eats up alot of space you don't really realize.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...a-k2-comparison-in-driving-and-quirks.129349/

The driving experience of the K2 is what has me hooked right now, the seats grab you better, the chassis hits the corners better. MRC is greatly improved. Now I know I could revisit the NNBS and put bigger sway bars in, updated suspension mods, brakes, and do some seat work and get the same experience for a fraction of the cost. But the looks also on the Esky I bought also sold me. The 6.2 transmissions with 8 or 10 speeds will broaden your horizon's coming from the 6 speed. I personally like the 6 speed with the 3.42 gear, But the added gears on the k2 platform really give it some get up and go for stock vehicles.

I fight a battle in my head every day of what I want, 1 day its a basic square suburban 4x4, next its a NNBS, and then its like enjoy where I have finally gotten to with the grind.

I miss my NNBS some days mainly due to cargo room, the fold flat floor eats up alot of space you don't really realize.
I ended up pulling that third row out. Sucker was heavy with all the motors. I ended up making a deck plate to allow me to position D rings wherever.

IMG_4374.jpeg

IMG_4773.jpeg

IMG_4975.jpeg

IMG_5161.jpeg

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious to get owner thoughts for those who happened to move from the GMT900 platform ('07-14) up to the '15-'20 MY - what did you like better, or what was perhaps worse, in your view?
Have any maintenance or DIY repairs been easier or harder for you on the 15+ gen comparatively?
Did you hang onto your GMT900 truck or sell it, and if so why?
Are you happy you made the jump when you did or, if you could go back, would you have waited for the '21+ gen?

Thanks all!
I upgraded to a K2 in the sense that I traded one of my GMT900s for it. For a daily the K2 is much better than my older PPV. The K2 seats take getting used to with the haptic feedback motors but are pretty comfortable.

A T1, nope. Don’t want the IRS, and zero point nothing clearance at the shock mounts.

I also upgraded to a cool stereo with onboard navigation. Plus as the sales dude put it, “you have a place to hide your pistol.”

IMG_6413.jpeg

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you pull out the cargo thingy, the space is similar to the previous generation with the 3rd row still in. Taking the 3rd row out is a lot more difficult though. But I never used the 3rd row in my 2010 Tahoe, so the Sparksalot solution is a good one with this Gen......

OP
OP
R

Runfor5

Reaction score
The bi-xenon HID headlights in the ‘13 Escalade are way better than the stock HID headlights in the K2XX Denali. But the K2XX Escalade Headlights are the absolute best. Even better than the ‘21+ Tahoe/Burb and Yukons.
Interesting take, had not come across this one. I'll have to pay more attention to the headlight differences on these.

Man the bluetooth streaming from the phone would be so nice lol. You mentioned remote start... didn't realize that was not on the K2xx years?

Yeah I think at this point I'd focus on the latter years that got the 10-speed auto based on what I'm seeing in research.

OP
OP
R

Runfor5

Reaction score
I will say, if you’re trading a GMT-900 Chevy or GMC SLT, there is probably much more to like about the K2 compared to coming from a Yukon Denali and especially an Escalade. I couldn’t own a 900 Chevy because the 5.3L is very underpowered, all the cheap rubber interior parts, and how noisy they are. And before anyone says it, yes, they are different. The Denali and Escalade have an acoustical insulation package (there’s a RPO code for it) that makes a massive difference and the later Escalades have dual-pane front windows that make a little more difference as long as all the window appliqués aren’t cracked letting air around them.
Not sure I'd trade our GMT truck for a K2xx (it would be an incremental purchase but TBD), as big knock on wood LOL given how reliable it's been for us thus far I'm hesitant to give that away.

I've always liked the GMC/Denali 'persona' if you will, over the Cadillac. Just personal preference. But the idea of a quieter interior as you note is interesting... I have also found I really like the "maple sugar" brown interior coloring Cadillac offered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobsaget

Latest posts