this traitor got what was coming to him

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last i knew both v8s from fords suffered from plastic timing tensioners that would crack or warp. as they also used the same oil passage for the cam phaser and oiling for the front of the head that would all not be getting oiled. so they are in the same boat as where im at with the 4.0 and the same cost bracket for the repair.

As i understand it, the Ford tensioner maintains its pressure using oil pressure. If the oil is maintained well, the oil ports remain open and the tensioner operates smoothly. If the oil is not maintained properly, the ports can become constricted or the piston in the tensioner sticks causing the chain to slap and break the plastic tensioner. Also, the work to change the tensioner isn't nearly as bad as having to replace a cracked head on a 5.3, or replace the rear main seal. I've done both.

Bottom line is that all engines will have their issues at some point. It's all about what kind of work you are prepared to do. So far, my Tahoe has needed less work than my 4.6L Explorer, although the Explorer is 6 years younger.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just going to wait until everyone declares bankruptcy then buy out their almost new Tahoe's for dirt cheap.

A lot of people are going into huge home debt these days, and I assume many are taking on huge car loans as well. The $1000 Biden check doesn't account for people paying $20000 for a 15 year old truck!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The world is crazy about buying homes now, even though we are supposed to all be broke from the China Virus.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As i understand it, the Ford tensioner maintains its pressure using oil pressure. If the oil is maintained well, the oil ports remain open and the tensioner operates smoothly. If the oil is not maintained properly, the ports can become constricted or the piston in the tensioner sticks causing the chain to slap and break the plastic tensioner. Also, the work to change the tensioner isn't nearly as bad as having to replace a cracked head on a 5.3, or replace the rear main seal. I've done both.

Bottom line is that all engines will have their issues at some point. It's all about what kind of work you are prepared to do. So far, my Tahoe has needed less work than my 4.6L Explorer, although the Explorer is 6 years younger.
well i cant say for the previous owners of this 4.0 mountaineer but i don't mess around with my maintenance. outside of that come fix mine i dont have the time and supposedly my version of the 4.0 the heads need to come off to make a thorough repair. ive contacted 6 shops now and only 2 are willing to touch it. only one is willing to repair it and one automatically just wants to replace the engine. my whole aggrivation is it is painfully obvious the engine was designed to be a huge pain to repair and is either impossible for some or outrageously expensive to have fixed. regardless ive lost faith in almost all manufacturers. keep making them more expensive to buy and more expensive to fix. not to mention right now trying to buy a replacement vehicle.......
no wonder i was getting swamped so bad when i was selling my 00 civic. a running and driving rust free car for an affordable price my god you would have thought i was selling a Lamborghini for 1500 bucks.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give it 6 months and all these cars sold now, won't need to be replaced. When chip production gets going again, look for deals to come back.

guy i work with has a truck that is only months old, and it is sitting at the dealer now waiting for parts as they just dont have them from the chip shortage. rightfully he was complaining that this is why he got a newer truck was to not have issues, the loaner was gone already and the only other new they had was about 3 60k trucks, and they wouldn't let him take one of those for a loaner. but he tried! lol said he was shopping around and there is just nothing on the lots for new.

even though i have more than i really need it makes me either want to keep what i have for spare vehicles or fix and sell them at decent profits.

sabasigh

Reaction score
I had 3 of the SOHC 4.0's. 2 explorers, one which had 280k miles and a 06 Stang. Pretty sure both my Explorers had busted tensioners and I could still wring 19 mpg outta my 2000 Ex. The person I sold it too just turned 300k on it. They named it Dora