this traitor got what was coming to him

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stonefort

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know how you feel. A month after swapping the engine in my 2008 Mustang Bullitt I happily sold it. I was so pissed off at how Ford built the car and engine I never wanted to work on that vehicle again. It was a nightmare. My 04 Tahoe is a dream to work on compared to that Mustang.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Ford I am planning a little work on as well as a Saturn ( as much Opel as gm) hoping either go decent.

That 4.0 is a great motor when it runs right, but I couldn't get past the 4 timing chains, that you have to pull the motor to change.

I bought a 99ish exploder once as it was supposed to have the ohv not the ohc motor. Needed a timing chain. My dad didn't really believe me when I had started pulling things off and was not feeling right for ohv. Told him if it was the ohc I would rather scrap it. Looked in the oil fill on the valve cover and saw chain! The look of shock on his face when I started tossing parts in the back and pushed it out the door ( is down hill out of my barn) I had the door closed before it was done rolling away!

Dad says, "guess you weren't kidding" ,said not even a little!

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know how you feel. A month after swapping the engine in my 2008 Mustang Bullitt I happily sold it. I was so pissed off at how Ford built the car and engine I never wanted to work on that vehicle again. It was a nightmare. My 04 Tahoe is a dream to work on compared to that Mustang.
I have a Ford I am planning a little work on as well as a Saturn ( as much Opel as gm) hoping either go decent.

That 4.0 is a great motor when it runs right, but I couldn't get past the 4 timing chains, that you have to pull the motor to change.

I bought a 99ish exploder once as it was supposed to have the ohv not the ohc motor. Needed a timing chain. My dad didn't really believe me when I had started pulling things off and was not feeling right for ohv. Told him if it was the ohc I would rather scrap it. Looked in the oil fill on the valve cover and saw chain! The look of shock on his face when I started tossing parts in the back and pushed it out the door ( is down hill out of my barn) I had the door closed before it was done rolling away!

Dad says, "guess you weren't kidding" ,said not even a little!
thing that kills me right now is used car prices. my accord actually went up in value instead of depreciation. dealerships aren't budging on prices. also its in really good shape besides the engine so i am debating on getting it fixed still. not having much luck there as 3 shops have told me they wont touch it.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone want to buy an 07 mercury mountaineer 4.0 awd premier edition lol. only needs 3grand plus worth of timing chain work or just a whole engine.

The same vehicle with the 4.6 V8 is actually a great vehicle. Neither Ford nor GM had great V6's. If the V8 is taken care of, they will go a long time.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The same vehicle with the 4.6 V8 is actually a great vehicle. Neither Ford nor GM had great V6's. If the V8 is taken care of, they will go a long time.
last i knew both v8s from fords suffered from plastic timing tensioners that would crack or warp. as they also used the same oil passage for the cam phaser and oiling for the front of the head that would all not be getting oiled. so they are in the same boat as where im at with the 4.0 and the same cost bracket for the repair.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thing that kills me right now is used car prices. my accord actually went up in value instead of depreciation. dealerships aren't budging on prices. also its in really good shape besides the engine so i am debating on getting it fixed still. not having much luck there as 3 shops have told me they wont touch it.

We have a dealer company that sells most makes. They have a huge lot complex near where I work. It's usually completely covered with vehicles. The amount of empty space is huge. In a space that would usually hold dozens of pickups and cars, there may be a row of 8. They are selling everything they can get so why should they take less money to move cars?

Give it 6 months and all these cars sold now, won't need to be replaced. When chip production gets going again, look for deals to come back.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a dealer company that sells most makes. They have a huge lot complex near where I work. It's usually completely covered with vehicles. The amount of empty space is huge. In a space that would usually hold dozens of pickups and cars, there may be a row of 8. They are selling everything they can get so why should they take less money to move cars?

Give it 6 months and all these cars sold now, won't need to be replaced. When chip production gets going again, look for deals to come back.
ya i cant fault anyone for trying to make the most out of something. you want to get something cheaper your buying private party but then your rolling the dice. if your set on buying from a dealership your stuck with dealership prices but just as long as your not buying thier as is junk you have some kind of warranty that comes with it. both come with thier pros and cons. as i need a dependable vehicle semi quickly im probably going through a dealership.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE