This ain’t right, is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I’m chasing some sounds underneath my Chevy. While I was searching, I noticed there is play on the wheel. So I stumbled upon this problem, which might be one of the sounds I sometimes notice..

I’m in good hoop someone will know the answer! I’m learning by doing, so that’s why I’m asking your help!:)

Chevy Tahoe 2001
Passenger rear side it is.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks pretty normal. The axle shaft has slack in and out like that by design.

What kinda of sound(s) are you chasing? What events are taking place when you hear these sounds? Do they change with vehicle and/or engine speed and/or transmission gear?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's normal, the lug nuts, wheel and brake calipers hold the rotor in place, if you unbolt the caliper the rotor then comes right off

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put the wheel back on, leave it on the jack. see if you get any play pushing and pulling the top of the tire. if you feel it moving the hub is bad.

OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks pretty normal. The axle shaft has slack in and out like that by design.

What kinda of sound(s) are you chasing? What events are taking place when you hear these sounds? Do they change with vehicle and/or engine speed and/or transmission gear?
Oh really, didn't expect that to be normal. Especially because drivers rear side has much less till no movement.

I don't really know how to explain the sounds. Last week on the highway driving like 70/80 some strange kind of rattling noise. Like the sound of a train wheel crossing the rail sections on the rails. But yesterday I also chased some other sound. That came from rear drivers side. I found out it was my pads hitting my rotors. So I connected the caliper and pushed the pistons back a little so it had space again. Then I went for a drive and thought it was gone.. But when I did some propper braking it came back. So that needs more investigation as well. But I still have the feeling that the sound described above is from something else. Maybe the drive shaft. It has play in it, but I have been told that should not be a problem, yet...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonny

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put the wheel back on, leave it on the jack. see if you get any play pushing and pulling the top of the tire. if you feel it moving the hub is bad.
No hub- that's the rear end in his video.
It does it with the wheel on as well, because it's the nuts that are moving.
Normal. Rear end is just held in place by C clips.
As sad, didn't expect that, it's also normal that the drivers side has a little to no play?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Explain connected the caliper and brake pads The pads shouldn’t be moving at all. This part sounds like a bad caliper. You shouldn’t be able to hear the pads hitting anything. Is brake fluid full?

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does it with the wheel on as well, because it's the nuts that are moving.

When you are pulling on the studs in the first post with a video, do all the studs move at the same time or just each individual stud? From what I'm interpreting, with the wheel on and the lug nuts tighten to spec, if you wiggle the tire you can see play in the lug nut / stud?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep