Now at FIVE AC system failures in four weeks...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lonny

Reaction score
Hi team -

My 2017 GMC (52,000 miles) is going on its third new AC compressor in as many weeks. I just dropped it off at the shop yet again a few hours ago. Apparently there is much more going on under the hood than meets the eye and the mechanics are mystified.

I'm definitely beginning to get frustrated at the situation - mostly at the amount of time this is consuming, and my out-of-pocket costs on a rental (fortunately, AC is covered under my extended warranty).

Wondering if there are any avenues that haven't been considered here- and of course, the Keep Trying to Fix It vs. Sell It equation is on my mind a lot right now. Would love thoughts here.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Quality of part is suspect. Story behind the initial replacement and then why the 2nd and 3rd compressor has failed. Or, is the next one going to be the third compressor? Any time a compressor is replaced, the accumulator should be done as well as the orifice. What did the orifice look like on the initial and next replacement? I would suspect that if the compressors are a decent/good quality, that the system did not get the accumulator as it should have and that the system was not flushed when opened. The condenser and evaporator likely have debris that keeps getting in to the new/replacement compressor.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a feeling that the extended warranty company covers the compressor but not the other recommended components, accumulator and orifice, and that they will not pay for the a/c flush for the debris. The owner, OP, MAY have said no to the uncovered items/flush and that contributed to the problems. Hopefully the OP, @Lonny, will respond back.

OP
OP
L

Lonny

Reaction score
Hi guys - thanks everyone for all the advice. I got the Denali back from service on Friday. Apparently, there was some debris in the condensor that was causing the compressors to fail. So the compressor was replaced yet again, along with the condensor. All was going well.

Until...

Today (Sunday), out driving again and the AC system wasn't able to muster anything beyond "kind of coolish" even with the control setting on max.

I'm at a loss about what to do here.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The debris is also in the lines, orifice and the evaporator and also the accumulator. If the accumulator is still the same on this trip in and the rest of the system was not flushed out or replaced and the orifice not done.....well that means some idiots are working on that a/c system. That is what happens when a warranty company gets involved. were you approached by the tech to address all that I laid out and the warranty company would only pay for part of it and you would be on the hook for the rest and you said no? Not accusing, just asking.

OP
OP
L

Lonny

Reaction score
The debris is also in the lines, orifice and the evaporator and also the accumulator. If the accumulator is still the same on this trip in and the rest of the system was not flushed out or replaced and the orifice not done.....well that means some idiots are working on that a/c system. That is what happens when a warranty company gets involved. were you approached by the tech to address all that I laid out and the warranty company would only pay for part of it and you would be on the hook for the rest and you said no? Not accusing, just asking.
According to the service inspection report, the entire system was evacuated, flushed and recharged on three separate occasions. Now the AC is not working yet again (fourth time!). I'm not sure what is killing it after a day or two out of the shop, but this whole situation is starting to become Not Fun.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You can flush till the cows come home. If you don't replace the accumulator each time you are asking for it. The condenser has the same small passages as the evaporator. The condenser was replaced and the evaporator was not. There is no way the flush is under the same pressure as the system when it is working. Plus, how do they know it isn't just leaking refrigerant? How are they to be sure the blend doors/actuators are working correctly.

OP
OP
L

Lonny

Reaction score
You can flush till the cows come home. If you don't replace the accumulator each time you are asking for it. The condenser has the same small passages as the evaporator. The condenser was replaced and the evaporator was not. There is no way the flush is under the same pressure as the system when it is working. Plus, how do they know it isn't just leaking refrigerant? How are they to be sure the blend doors/actuators are working correctly.
Great stuff, I will be asking almost all of these questions tomorrow morning! I just returned home from dropping off the vehicle, and will be giving the shop a call first thing in the AM. I do know they did leak checks with dye and came up empty on each of the first three go-rounds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz