Thinking of selling...advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeInFC

Reaction score
Hi All,
With some other things that came down the pike, my old friend may be sold soon.
I'm looking for some assistance on arriving at a good sales price. Where do I look for data on the prices these actually sell for? I know I can find 'sold' prices on Ebay, but I see a lot of crazy inflated stuff out there, and not sure what to believe because of the unpredictability of an auction format.

The vehicle:
1999 Tahoe LS 2dr Z71, Black

Mileage:

Condition: Good to very good. A few parking lot dings, but nothing that really detracts from the vehicle, and all of which could likely easily be PDR'd. Interior is excellent.

Features:
Mainly stock except for addition of 17" wheels from a GMC truck. I liked the way they filled up the wheel wells a little more than the 16's, and they're in better shape than the originals were.
Spider has already been converted to MPFI unit. Lower manifold gaskets and a host of other related items were cleaned up and fixed a couple years ago. No signs of leaks since. Engine runs well, tranny shifts crisp.
New fuel pump and rear-shaft U-Joints this year. New water pump in the past 30k miles or so. New ball joints and a bunch of other front end parts at about the same time. New radiator right before I got it.
No rust. Born in Texas, and now in Colorado. Always garaged.
It's been taken care of.

My conundrum is that I've been seeing prices on these 2-doors shooting up lately, even to the point where they seem ridiculous. If you watch Ebay, they sell anywhere from $1200 for a $280k rust bucket all the way to $20k for a garage queen with 45k on the clock. Mine is clearly in between, but on the better than average end. Some of the local dealers in Colorado get these occasionally, and they have no reservations trying to sell them for $8k-$12k for a 20-25yr old vehicle just south of 200k miles. Whaaaat !!??

I'm planning to shoot sort of high on price so I can work down from there with anyone truly interested. Where do I get reliable information for pricing this thing? Any ideas?

A few pics. Hopefully these come through...I'm new to posting pics.

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

dateposted-public

Thanks!

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pictures didn’t show up, try again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TahoeInFC

TahoeInFC

Reaction score
Dang! I knew I hosed that up! I'll try again. Links were working when I tried them before publishing.
I'll try something different.

Thanks east302!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you’re using Tapatalk, click on the photo icon (second from left) to attach a photo from your phone.

c955a7af59f7cf95755b24fe015bb4d2.jpg

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t take less than $8k for it, but you’ll probably see a wide range of prices. If you’re not in a hurry to sell, you’re more likely to get it.

Me...I’d put something like $9300 on it and see what happens. You’ll get plenty of lowball offers, but your dash isn’t cracked, the mileage is good, the clear coat isn’t peeling, you’ve done the normal upgrades and it hasn’t been gone over by a teenager.

If you’re in a hurry, I bet it would sell pretty quick if you put $6k on it.

If you think about it, you might replace the console latch, haha. LMC truck has them.

My two cents, hope it helps. These are a dime a dozen in the $5k range, and they’re usually worn the hell out.

OP
OP
TahoeInFC

TahoeInFC

Reaction score
Hey east302, I really appreciate your comments!
I think we're on the same page, because I went ahead and listed it for $9k to see what happens. I spent a lot of time hunting through eBay, autotrader, autolist, etc... for comps, and arrived at the same conclusion you did. I've already received some snarky comments on price... whatever. [emoji3]

Thanks for the tip on the broken latch. It snapped on a really cold day last winter and I just never fixed it. Sort of got used to not having it to the point of forgetting altogether until it came time to clean up the rig.

Thanks again!

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, snarky low-balls come with the territory it seems.

My favorite is “what’s the lowest you’ll take?” I usually tell them to just make an offer, that I’m not going to negotiate against myself.

Good luck with the sale.

OP
OP
TahoeInFC

TahoeInFC

Reaction score
Ha! Yeah, I've heard that same line selling vehicles in the past. I always have to fight the urge to say "How much you got?" but I couldn't pull it off without cracking up.

Also like the ones that ask me to give them a carfax. I'm not a dealership, man! Those memberships cost money. Asking a seller to provide crucial info on a car they're selling is a fox in the hen-house situation. I always give them the VIN and politely request they do their own independent research with carfax, etc.. . Keeps everyone honest.

If I remember, I'll post result of the sale for others with the same question.

Take it easy

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck brother! I thought the interior of my 1998 2door was clean but yours is a step up! Very nice truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE