Thinking about Supercharging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BlackDenali

BlackDenali

Roof Rack ****
Reaction score
If you don't want to spend a ton of money, I suggest a tune, headers and a cam. then when you are ready for a blower, I would do torque converter and a transmission. Gears on an AWD are just fine, I wouldn't touch em.

I am still running a stock drivetrain with my blower, as is Justin on his SSS (AWD).

Who makes a good cam and how much will it run installed (approx.)
If I decide to get blown:pimp:......How much will the torque converter and transmission upgrades run??

With headers, blower at max boost (I'm assuming around 9lb to 10lbs) and your tune how much power am I looking at? + What is my approx. cost out the door with all engine and transmission upgrades?

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Send Jenna a pm or email justin, there is no definitive answer it's all relevant to what you're trying to accomplish with the truck. I've built mine in stages:
1. tune, intake, exhaust
2. longtubes, efans, cam
3. forced induction

I'd get the longtubes on with a trans rebuild and a decent converter, stick to a mild cam something around 112LSA or do a bit of research over at performancetrucks.net. Then you can decide if you have enough power or if you want to sack up and buy a blower...I just priced out a TVS1900 from magnacharger and it looks like I'll be racking up some credit card debt once my plasmas are paid off.

OP
OP
BlackDenali

BlackDenali

Roof Rack ****
Reaction score
Send Jenna a pm or email justin, there is no definitive answer it's all relevant to what you're trying to accomplish with the truck. I've built mine in stages:
1. tune, intake, exhaust
2. longtubes, efans, cam
3. forced induction

I'd get the longtubes on with a trans rebuild and a decent converter, stick to a mild cam something around 112LSA or do a bit of research over at performancetrucks.net. Then you can decide if you have enough power or if you want to sack up and buy a blower...I just priced out a TVS1900 from magnacharger and it looks like I'll be racking up some credit card debt once my plasmas are paid off.

I'm trying to avoid credit card debt but the bug might bit too hard!!!!
After I lower my truck to where I'm satisfied I think I'll go to a muffler shop and have them remove the cats, order a K&N intake and get my BB tune and see where I stand!

If I'm still jonesing..............which I know I will be.............. then I'll worry about my driveline, cam, and blower!

Thanks alot Guys!!!

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
Nor reason to remove the cats, they flow just fine and your truck will stink if you don't have any.

OP
OP
BlackDenali

BlackDenali

Roof Rack ****
Reaction score
Nor reason to remove the cats, they flow just fine and your truck will stink if you don't have any.

The cats don't rob any power on these trucks???
I know when I took them off of my car I felt a huge difference but you could definately smell the gas!! Are you still running the stock cats in your truck??

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Your cats are actually already high flow cats, so no need to waste money on new ones.

OP
OP
BlackDenali

BlackDenali

Roof Rack ****
Reaction score
Your cats are actually already high flow cats, so no need to waste money on new ones.

Nice!!!! +1 for GM!! So if the cats don't really hinder the engine why are the headers so important? I know wider manifold outlets, but aren't the stock headers 4 to 1 anyway?
And is it possible to convert my AWD into 2 wheel drive?.........I live in south florida and don't tow anything!

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Pop your hood and check out your stock headers, there is quite a bit of difference between those and these:

new_parts.jpg

You can see that the flow is much more "free" than the crammed stock manifolds.

OP
OP
BlackDenali

BlackDenali

Roof Rack ****
Reaction score
I see! If I want to run headers into my stock muffler to keep everything quiet will that defeat the purpose of the headers?

Step 1: You recommend headers, CAI, and your tune to get me started?
Step 2: Cam, driveline and transmission upgrades
Step 3: Blower!!!! :)

How much coin am I looking at to accomplish all of this? (approx.)
Patience is not a virtue I was blessed with!!!!:emotions122:

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Who makes the best cam or head cam package for my 6.0?

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Honestly, prices vary from locale to locale, so your best bet is to call around to shops, unless you plan on installing yourself. As for cam, decide what you are wanting it for, call a cam company and have them make a suggestion for you. They may even offer a custom grind.

I went with a CompCam 206/212 115LSA. It is a perfect DD cam and I didn't loose any power on the low end. I knew I would eventually be putting a blower on it, which is why I went with the 115LSA.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz