Thinking about Supercharging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackDenali

Roof Rack ****
Reaction score
I'm rolling the idae of supercharging my truck around and I'm on the fence. My biggest question is with my AWD Denali what driveline upgrades will I have to do to? Will the stock diffs, transfer case and transmission hold that power with me beating on it or will my truck be laid up at the shop with driveline issues everytime? (I will definately install the smallest pulley possible for the most power) Can I make my truck rear wheel drive only? (I live in south florida, very flat and no snow = AWD useless) What are my options and what other performance parts should I add to get the most power out of my 6.0.......Headers, Custom BB Tune, Cat Delete, Exhaust, 4:10 gears?
Or should I just get a BB tune and an intake an call it a day?

I'm weighing my options, leave the truck alone after I lower it again or start on the performance modding, which I know is a slippery slope and I'm not looking to drop another 10k to 15k to have a "fast for its size truck." If I do decide to go with the performance mods I want to do it 100% right the first time so I'll have no issues and maybe one day I can say my truck is finished!!!

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your looking for headers, PM me.

But headers, with ORY will get rid of the 02, and cats, so you gain power there. Then, have it tuned by BlackBear after you install the headers to turn the SES lights off. So there is huge gains.
The denali came with what, a 65e tranny or was it 70e or 80e?
I think the tranny your fine, as well as driveline for now. Then add a Yank 2600 converter, and gears.

So headers, tune, convterter, and gears.

Then, later, you can always add Supercharger, but I bet you'd be amazed with just those mods.
Headers $500
Tune $300
Gears installed $800
Converter $500-up depending where you find one.

OP
OP
BlackDenali

BlackDenali

Roof Rack ****
Reaction score
If your looking for headers, PM me.

But headers, with ORY will get rid of the 02, and cats, so you gain power there. Then, have it tuned by BlackBear after you install the headers to turn the SES lights off. So there is huge gains.
The denali came with what, a 65e tranny or was it 70e or 80e?
I think the tranny your fine, as well as driveline for now. Then add a Yank 2600 converter, and gears.

So headers, tune, convterter, and gears.

Then, later, you can always add Supercharger, but I bet you'd be amazed with just those mods.
Headers $500
Tune $300
Gears installed $800
Converter $500-up depending where you find one.

Won't I need 2 sets of gears?
Can I run headers with my stock muffler to keep things quiet??

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah, AWD, duh, yes....my bad!

and yes, the ORY will weld up to your exhisting pipe, yet get rid of cats.

OP
OP
BlackDenali

BlackDenali

Roof Rack ****
Reaction score
So if I want to start down the performance hill and I go with an intake, headers and bb tune I'll notice a solid performance gain? With a truck I'm more into the looks than the performance but between the weight and the size of the wheels my truck is an absolute dog and unless I start doing crazy custom work or a bag kit my truck is all but finished and my A.D.D. is kicking in so I have to do something!!!

There goes my bank account............Again!!!! :emotions122:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
CAI, not much gains, but will maybe compliment other mods.

Headers, i bet you can see 15-20HP with ORY...then the tune, on top of that will be the biggest gains.
Torque Management is what is killing you, slippage, slow shifts,etc...

so tune, headers and CAI (if you want)

under $1000

OP
OP
BlackDenali

BlackDenali

Roof Rack ****
Reaction score
CAI, not much gains, but will maybe compliment other mods.

Headers, i bet you can see 15-20HP with ORY...then the tune, on top of that will be the biggest gains.
Torque Management is what is killing you, slippage, slow shifts,etc...

so tune, headers and CAI (if you want)

under $1000

Makes alot of sense!! If down the road I want to supercharge it how costly do you think the driveline upgrades will be? My truck is extremely reliable and I just don't need it in the shop every week because I can't keep my foot off the floor!

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes alot of sense!! If down the road I want to supercharge it how costly do you think the driveline upgrades will be? My truck is extremely reliable and I just don't need it in the shop every week because I can't keep my foot off the floor!

I'd ask JK, he's supercharged his.....

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you don't want to spend a ton of money, I suggest a tune, headers and a cam. then when you are ready for a blower, I would do torque converter and a transmission. Gears on an AWD are just fine, I wouldn't touch em.

I am still running a stock drivetrain with my blower, as is Justin on his SSS (AWD).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo