The unwanted Hoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
liquify33

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap. Same here. A white 86. Ours was not real nice, though. That's the car that my buddies and I removed the "am" logos, cut them apart, and glued them back on so all my badges said "grandma"
Lol! Got so many laughs at red lights!

Genius ideas! My first was a ‘78 Datsun with an exhaust system held together with pipe clamps and coke cans (in ‘93). I drove the snot out of it and learned to wrench on it.
Later I had the Olds version of the GrandAm with a 2.3quad4 and a 5 speed. I thought I was hot sh*t until I drag raced a Impala with the LT1. Those things were badass

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Impala SS LT1 was one of the 1st V8's without a carb I ever drove. I fell in love that day. It was also the first time GM put a light, hi torque starter and electric fans on a heavy v8 passenger car. I remember firing up that LT1 back in 94 on the dealers lot, and popping the hood because I thought there was a 4 cyl under the hood. My old school uncle was with me and he HATED the fact it had electric fans, haha. He said they were a fluke and every one would eventually overheat, lol

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Genius ideas! My first was a ‘78 Datsun with an exhaust system held together with pipe clamps and coke cans (in ‘93). I drove the snot out of it and learned to wrench on it.
Later I had the Olds version of the GrandAm with a 2.3quad4 and a 5 speed. I thought I was hot sh*t until I drag raced a Impala with the LT1. Those things were badass
Those Quad 4's were crazy back then.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Impala SS LT1 was one of the 1st V8's without a carb I ever drove. I fell in love that day. It was also the first time GM put a light, hi torque starter and electric fans on a heavy v8 passenger car. I remember firing up that LT1 back in 94 on the dealers lot, and popping the hood because I thought there was a 4 cyl under the hood. My old school uncle was with me and he HATED the fact it had electric fans, haha. He said they were a fluke and every one would eventually overheat, lol

My first car was an Impala also, just a 1976 Impala. Had a 350 2bbl in it. Dad paid $1000 for it in 1987 and it only had 13K on it. Blew the torque converter on the transmission and had to learn how to replace it or I had no wheels. That thing would float down the road and could haul 8 people comfortably.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My first car was sold to me by my dad as well. It was a red Pontiac Lemans with the V8 and black interior. Cream puff car and then I sold it to buy a red Dodge Challenger. Big block.

wilcfr

Reaction score
Lol. Opinion noted.

Simply for fun and the other side:

My 2000 Z71 Tahoe was bad to the bone. I drove it daily (as in, all day, job to job) for 13 years. Replaced 1 fuel pump, 1 battery, 1 set of tires, 1 rear end (my fault....grenade), 1 set of front bj/links. I think a thermostat once. Sure, it had a door handle that didn't work, and a cracked windshield, but aside from me bombing the g80, it never stranded me anywhere. The tow driver dumped it in the lot and I threw it in 4wd and drove it into the bay, lol. When the fuel pump died, l kicked the tank, started it up, and drove it to the shop.

All that said, my NBS is on another level and although I miss the old beast sometimes, I would never trade back. However, as a teenager, I would drive the crap out of that 350. Ha!
I can relate to both. My wife has a 2007 4R LTD that she wouldn't give up for anything. I had a beautiful 2003 Tahoe Z that a was rolling pile of dog poop. Forced Chevy to replace under the State's lemon law. Got a 2004 Tahoe Z in exchange. It wasn't as pretty, but waa built like a tank. Never had an issue. I now own a 97 Tahoe 2D 4X4 that I tinker with, but seldom drive. I've had to replace brakes, master cylinder, water pump, fuel pump, variable speed controller, whole front end and then did a number of things just because I wanted to, i.e, brake lines, shocks. CAI, plugs, ignition module, ……. I'm sure it's drivable, but it sits a lot. Waiting for body work to fix rust. Going to teach myself to weld. God help us and the truck.

OP
OP
liquify33

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first car was sold to me by my dad as well. It was a red Pontiac Lemans with the V8 and black interior. Cream puff car and then I sold it to buy a red Dodge Challenger. Big block.
My dad always jokes that in 1971 he had a Challenger with a 340. On 1972 he had a child and a Vega.

OP
OP
liquify33

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can relate to both. My wife has a 2007 4R LTD that she wouldn't give up for anything. I had a beautiful 2003 Tahoe Z that a was rolling pile of dog poop. Forced Chevy to replace under the State's lemon law. Got a 2004 Tahoe Z in exchange. It wasn't as pretty, but waa built like a tank. Never had an issue. I now own a 97 Tahoe 2D 4X4 that I tinker with, but seldom drive. I've had to replace brakes, master cylinder, water pump, fuel pump, variable speed controller, whole front end and then did a number of things just because I wanted to, i.e, brake lines, shocks. CAI, plugs, ignition module, ……. I'm sure it's drivable, but it sits a lot. Waiting for body work to fix rust. Going to teach myself to weld. God help us and the truck.
Do you know the option code for the variable steering? Was it an option?

Mine is an LT so fairly loaded factory-wise with all the Z71 trimmings w/out the option code though. Maybe the floor 4x4 selection deleted Z71?