First time LG SUV owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jester1023

Reaction score
So for about the past month or so I have been looking for A lg SUV,I just like the feel of A big vehicle ride wise along as room wise.I have always driven small to mid size suv's I remember when I was younger riding around or driving my uncles old bronco and I loved the feel of A big truck now a day with the price of gas it makes it tough to get into such a large gas eating vehicle.with me not having to travel two jobs anymore and needing to be so gas consciousness I have always wanted a big vehicle.though it was not as big as A yukon or tahoe I loved my Trailblazer but working the two jobs when I was it was killing me in gas so I eventually downsized to A rogue to save gas i hated getting out of my trailblazer.I really disliked driving such a small vehicle but I had little choice,recently of no fault of my own I had an accident with this vehicle and it got totalled out,so I kind of had a feeling it would be so for the last month or so I started looking for lg SUV's of the big 5 Yukon/Tahoe,Sequia,expedition,Armada,Durango I kept coming back to the yukon/tahoe I just really like the look of them and all the guys I know that have or have had them cannot say enough about them.The two foreign vehicles are probably out of my price range,I have never been a big ford person and the durango just did not give me the appeal as the chevy's.wiuththat being said I knew I was going to have between 6-7k to play with once my vehicle was totalled.

So last week my vehicle was officially totalled as I figured it would be after paying off the remainder of my loan I wound up with just over 6k A friend of mine buys and sells vehicles quite A bit and I know he takes very good care of the vehicles he sells as most of them are serviced by him as he gets alot of them through dealers he does alot of work for various dealers and goes to some auctions,anyway with that being said as soon as I told him I was in the market for an older yukon/tahoe I would not be able to afford a newer one besides I like the older BS 01-06.So as soon as I mentioned I was looking for one he immediatley had one in mind he had A 04 Yukon SLT clean as clean can be White meticulously maintained this vehicle was so so clean not an ounce of rust outside or more importantly underneath,the bottom was so clean it was almost unbelievable as well as the engine.this vehicle is one that he just happens to service all the time all synthetics its whole life owned by an older gentleman the only thing that got me A bit worried was the mileage which was 150k miles.

I have always grown up high mileage = problems,dont get a high mileage vehicle you are looking for trouble,I don't know these vehicles he does and he keeps telling me you cannot look at large suv's that way especially with the chevy engines the body will go before the engine with these SUV's if they were properly maintained get the high mileage out of my head,living my whole life looking at high mileage as a negative its hard to do but my body knows vehicles and he insists with lg vehicles such as these the engines are built to last even reading through this forum and across the web that seems to be the general consensus with these vehicles don't look at the mileage look at the up keep they could last well over 200k without breaking a sweat as long as they were well maintained.So that kind of puts my mind at ease.

Anyway for the last month knowing I had this vehicle in my back pocket it was mine if I wanted it my buddy was gonna hold it for me if I wanted it I looked at a handful of yukon's/tahoes and honestly for the price I am paying $5500 I think I am getting a pretty good deal I looked at a handful and some of them looked good but the not knowing part of how well they were maintained worried me.I found some with slightly lower mileage by 25-30k some even more for around the same price but nowhere as clean.I understand with vehicles this old they are not going to be perfect but my buddy's seems so much cleaner than most I looked at.yeah the seats are a bit worn and there are some dings in the body here and there but there are no visible signs of rust anywhere.most of the other vehicles I looked at A)either had rust starting to appear b)the engine either looked tired or sounded tired or C)the under carriage just wasnt as pristine.

After driving the I am gonna call it the white ghost I knew right away this was A vehicle for me it absolutley purred and went over every bump in the road smooth as a baby without a squeak or creak other vehicles I drove had some squeaks and creaks which got my antenna's raised slightly,I know with vehicles this old you are rolling the dice but I really want to start out with a good positive feel the only thing that sticks in my craw is that high mileage but to get A vehicle with lower mileage this well maintained in this good of shape I think I would have to easily pony up another 3-4 K everything in this price range just did not look or feel as good.He even had A couple of guys come look at it trying to buy it off of him saying its the best one they have seen much like myself everything they looked at was gonna need some money sunk into it down the line.

So after looking at and driving A handful of tahoes/Yukons that I found some cheaper some with less mileage this white ghost even though it has the high mileage I think is one of the top ones I did drive A z71 which was almost as clean with 30k less miles an 03 it drove really well as well and was very clean that was $500 more at 6K that one was a metallic red that was in very good shape and I was really tossing it around but when it comes down to it this is A friend of mine with lots of connections the guy with the Z71 I don't know from anywhere if something goes wrong with the white ghost at least he is gonna help me out the best he can being a friend and having sold it to me.The Z71 probably would be just as good,though it did not have 3rd row seating not that I need it but its always nice to have just in case.But here I am getting a vehicle that I know was well taken care of its whole life others are kind of A roll of the dice if something goes wrong I am stuck at least with the white ghost though I think everything will be good if something goes south my buddy will help me out and stand behind it.

So he is just tightning some things up on it,he sent it out for the drivers seat to be re-done common problem with a vehicle this old as well having a couple of dings removed.He wanted to give it A full service as well,go over the brakes and the lines(he mentioned these are a common problem with these vehicles the ones in the ghost look good but he wants to swap them out anyway and give me new ones) so I should have it Monday/Tuesday of next week.

I asked him about the Camtech heads as I read some posts on here about them and he told me its not an issue with this vehicle they stopped putting them in the Yukons early 04 some very early 04's had them but most of them were already replaced for the 04's

So thats my long story looking forward to getting into my Yukon soon,its going to be an adjustment but I am very anxious to get into it I will post some picks once the white ghost is on the road.

I think I did good for myself though the mileage is high the body is in excellent shape,and I am quite confident this vehicle was very well maintained the tranny fluid is pink as can be with not an ounce of rust anywhere.I am going down a new road with A vehicle this big but for the price I think I did alright for myself compared to some of the other vehicles I was looking at like mentioned the only vehicle that came close to matching up with the Yukon was the Z71 I looked at.I think I will be quite happy with the Yukon though

Thanks for reading I know this was rather long

OP
OP
Jester1023

Jester1023

Reaction score
Yeah sorry for the long post just got to writing and just kept going the next one will be short and sweet I will certainly post some picks when I get the truck on the road

RaiderRodney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! And that isn't the old body style that is the NBS (new body style) :) And yes, post us up some pics, anxious to see it!

David Kriss

Reaction score
High mileage isn't usually an issue if it was maintained properly. I have a 2001 Yukon XL SLT with over 260k in it. I bought it new and have done almost all of the maintenance myself. Stick to the maintenance schedule and you should have few problems. The people in my dealer's the shop keep telling me that the early 2000 series was the best that GMC ever built.

RaiderRodney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
High mileage isn't usually an issue if it was maintained properly. I have a 2001 Yukon XL SLT with over 260k in it. I bought it new and have done almost all of the maintenance myself. Stick to the maintenance schedule and you should have few problems. The people in my dealer's the shop keep telling me that the early 2000 series was the best that GMC ever built.

Which is exactly why I looked for months for a nice clean NBS model. One that has been garage kept, maintenance done, and away from salt was a much bigger factor for me than was mileage. My brother-in-law is also a GM tech and also talks about how the early 2000 models were the best ones to get.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Welcome. You got a good deal, and sounds like a great truck. We need some pics.

OP
OP
Jester1023

Jester1023

Reaction score
as soon as I pick it up I will be sure to post some pics right now it is at one of his detail shops having the leather re-done on the drivers side seat and A couple of dings taken out,mechanically its aces he gave it the once over and everything is in prime condition.So I am amped to pick it up,it really sucks not having a vehicle but it will be well worth the wait when I finally pick it up hopefully by the w/e.

As far as the mileage thing goes what you guys are saying is pretty much what I have read everywhere, that with these vehicles mechanically they are top notch and will run forvere if they were well maintained which with this particular vehicle I have no worries on that end,My buddy usually always has a few vehicles all the time that he is selling always mechanically sound.He won't take on any vehicle that has any kind of question mark at all .Most vehicles he takes on to sell he knows pretty well so I feel pretty confident I have very little to worry about.

OP
OP
Jester1023

Jester1023

Reaction score
So I told you guys once I got my vehicle I would load some pictures today is the first nice sunny day that I was able to take some good shots of my new ride I will try to post some more pic's

IMG_1065.JPG IMG_1068.JPG IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1066.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st