The reckoning has arrived - big $$$

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got to play with my Tech 2 for an actual purpose.... Airbag light went on. Front impact sensor. I just replaced the FISs on the Denali, so I wasn't really surprised one died on the Suburban. Bought 2 to replace both as a preventive. I figured if I was going to rip apart the front end, I might as well replace the headlight housings,since the adjuster was broken on the passenger side. Looked at a lot of options, finally decided to stay with stock. The damn impact sensors are $70 each. Ouch. Such a stupid little part.
I wish mine were $70! You're lucky! OE for me was $155 and the Dorman was $99 signed, sealed and delivered. I figured they were both made in the same factory in Singapore with different stickers. How are the leaf spring packs holding up after all these years?

OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish mine were $70! You're lucky! OE for me was $155 and the Dorman was $99 signed, sealed and delivered. I figured they were both made in the same factory in Singapore with different stickers. How are the leaf spring packs holding up after all these years?
I did get the Dorman sensors, but I got them through my buddy's shop - he must get wholesale pricing. Best price I found was $90 at Rock Auto. I want to say the high cost is because they use gold in the connectors (seriously, not joking), but then why do they fail?

Leaf springs are holding up just fine. I haven't towed the behemoth since 2019, so I haven't maxed them out recently, but I've made several long(ish) trips towing my 4k-lb 6x12 enclosed trailer, and she still sits fine with no sag.

And the new brakes kick butt. My father-in-law, a crusty old fart (but a car guy) even complimented the truck that it looks and rides like a new truck. He just recently saw it and rode in it for the first time. Then I told him it was 13 years old with over 200k miles.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did get the Dorman sensors, but I got them through my buddy's shop - he must get wholesale pricing. Best price I found was $90 at Rock Auto. I want to say the high cost is because they use gold in the connectors (seriously, not joking), but then why do they fail?

Leaf springs are holding up just fine. I haven't towed the behemoth since 2019, so I haven't maxed them out recently, but I've made several long(ish) trips towing my 4k-lb 6x12 enclosed trailer, and she still sits fine with no sag.

And the new brakes kick butt. My father-in-law, a crusty old fart (but a car guy) even complimented the truck that it looks and rides like a new truck. He just recently saw it and rode in it for the first time. Then I told him it was 13 years old with over 200k miles.
My sensor went out when we replaced the condenser. While I may have jarred it, it was split in half from corrosion like the ones I saw in youtube videos. Glad to hear she's still truckin' along!

OP
OP
intheburbs

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next up - pre-emptive strike on the fuel pump. I realized she probably has the original units. I bought it at 106k in 2013, and no records indicate it was ever swapped. Taking a few long road trips in the upcoming weeks, don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere, so a new front pump is going in next week. Don't really care about the rear pump. If it dies, then I can't get at those 7ish extra gallons. No big deal. My buddy will do it at his shop after hours. I'll help, bring beer, and pay him $150 for his time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Austinsham